Token required

Jump to solution
07-03-2015 09:53 AM
CatherineBouchard
New Contributor II

Hi,

i want update url of feature on ArcGis Online.

But i have answer:

Token Required.

What can i do, i have to modify some domaine.

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Catherine,

In order to access the admin of a hosted feature service, you must provide authentication in the form of a token.

To generate a token, you can copy one that is generated from signing into ArcGIS Online using a web debugger like fiddler or developer tools.

The Screenshot below shows how to get a token using fiddler:

Token.png

Then construct your url to include the token:

http://services.arcgis.com/Wl7Y1m92PbjtJs5n/arcgis/admin/services/Yeti.FeatureServer?token=3Imzhcq47...

Cheers,

Kelly

View solution in original post

19 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
User identity is established through a login process that always takes place over an encrypted connection (HTTPS using Secure Sockets Layer, or SSL). Subsequent transactions require the token acquired at sign in and can take place over encrypted or unencrypted connections.

Source: Hosted web layer security—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Are you logged in to ArcGIS Online? Is the service shared with you?

Instructions can be found in this PDF:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/files/2014/10/How-to-Update-Hosted-Feature-Service-Schemas1.pdf

CatherineBouchard
New Contributor II

not work ???

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Catherine,

There are several sets of tools on Github that will help you with administering ArcGIS Online services, including:these two. 

Esri/ago-tools · GitHub

ArcGIS Online Assistant

If you are getting a token error, it sounds like the service is secure.  Is it hosted on ArcGIS Online or on a local ArcGIS Server?  Are you the owner of the services? A you trying  actual URL only, or change the service?

It might help if you can give a little more detail on he steps you are trying, and if you provide a snapshot of the exact error.  There are also tools within browsers (usually F12) that can provide additional detail on the error to help in the debugging.  If you see an error in the console, providing that info will also help others help diagnose the token error.

CatherineBouchard
New Contributor II

Hi,

it's a feature layer hosted on ArcGIS Online . I'm the owner of feature layer.

I want go to URl to edit somme domain. This is the error:

I add word "admin" between rest and service in the URL to modify the domain in the code.

When i push F12:

Thank to try to help me.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Catherine,

In order to access the admin of a hosted feature service, you must provide authentication in the form of a token.

To generate a token, you can copy one that is generated from signing into ArcGIS Online using a web debugger like fiddler or developer tools.

The Screenshot below shows how to get a token using fiddler:

Token.png

Then construct your url to include the token:

http://services.arcgis.com/Wl7Y1m92PbjtJs5n/arcgis/admin/services/Yeti.FeatureServer?token=3Imzhcq47...

Cheers,

Kelly

CatherineBouchard
New Contributor II

oh yes, thank you

0 Kudos
DavidAskov1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly (and anyone else who may know) - I assume the copy/paste tokens from Fiddler are short-lived. Do you know how to generate a token using REST requests or via a python API? thanks!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi David,

Check out this links to generate tokens and authenticate:

Rest API Generate Token: ArcGIS REST API 

Python API:

Working with different authentication schemes | ArcGIS for Developers 

-Kelly

DavidAskov1
Occasional Contributor

The link to the ArcGIS REST API you posted says at the top that this has been superceded by OAuth. I cannot get the generateToken to return anything that even looks like an error, so I'm guessing it has been disabled now? 

On the OAuth page, it looks like I need to supply two tokens to get one. Ack!

0 Kudos