Saving Edits to AGO feature layer taking a long time

Jump to solution
05-20-2020 02:08 PM
BenjaminMittler
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

I have a layer hosted in ArcGIS Online that ive been editing in ArcPro on a daily basis. The layer is a point layer with roughly 3000 features and maybe 15 fields. Recently ive found then when I go to save my edits in ArcGIS Pro and synchronize to the Online layer, it take between 20 and 40 minutes to finish saving. Is this how it should be? Ive never had a layer take this long to save.

Not sure if this is related, but when i first bring the layer into ArcPro to edit, the ability to add a field is greyed out for some reason. Despite this, i can still navigate to the table ribbon and add a new field through there.... weird.

Thanks,

Ben

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the detailed description on this Zachary. I tested calculating some fields with Arcade and am seeing similar latency that I didn't notice a few weeks ago. I believe that you are correct about enable-undo caching edits locally (reference: Undo geoprocessing tools—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation ). I'm going to continue digging into this on my end and will post an update here. However I would also consider creating a case with Esri Support for a dedicated analyst to look into this as well. 

Thanks,

-Peter 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Benjamin Mittler‌,

Thanks for the post. It should not take this long. Have you tried rebuilding the spatial index? Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Do edits take a similar time to save when editing in the ArcGIS Online map viewer or Web AppBuilder?

Hope that helps,

-Peter

py4wildlife
New Contributor III

Hi Peter,

Yes, we created a test layer and I rebuilt the spatial index as a first attempt at troubleshooting. Modifying the layer fields in AGO using SQL works as it should, but it is not a usable substitute for our data entry needs working in Pro.

The saving time issue seemed to arise along with certain parts of Application UI being greyed out (Add Field):
Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro 

It also seems related to limited "Enable-Undo" functionality when Calculating fields which has happened in the past:
https://community.esri.com/ideas/16516 

I tried uninstalling the 2.5.1 patch but it did not fix (1) Save time (2) Greyed Application UI button (3) Ability to calculate fields in a live layer with Enable-Undo activated, unless saving before calculating the next field.

Occurrences are happening over separate networks/computers in Pro, so it does not point to a network configuration or graphics card issue. Enable-Undo works with populating a field from another field, but not calculating a field with new values using Python, SQL, or Arcade (e.g., all 0's or all null). The error states that edits must be saved before calculating next field.

I wonder if it all is a geocaching issue with AGO. Enable-Undo should allow us to cache locally before saving edits.

Z. Smith, Ph.D.
GIS Analyst
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the detailed description on this Zachary. I tested calculating some fields with Arcade and am seeing similar latency that I didn't notice a few weeks ago. I believe that you are correct about enable-undo caching edits locally (reference: Undo geoprocessing tools—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation ). I'm going to continue digging into this on my end and will post an update here. However I would also consider creating a case with Esri Support for a dedicated analyst to look into this as well. 

Thanks,

-Peter 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Benjamin Mittler‌ and Zachary Smith‌,

I was able to look into this over the past couple of days and wanted to follow up. I went ahead and logged the following bugs:

• BUG-000131243: In ArcGIS Pro, when using an Arcade or Python 3 expression, Calculate Field is approximately five times slower on an ArcGIS Online hosted feature layer than a Portal hosted feature layer.
    • This bug is to address the latency noticed recently. Looking back on my earlier calculations where I didn't notice the speed, I don't think I had enough features in my hosted feature layer. The central issue is that when using Arcade or Python 3, ArcGIS Pro makes applyEdits requests to push the changes to the hosted layer - this was slower by a significant amount when pushing updates to ArcGIS Online as opposed to a hosted feature layer in a 10.8 Portal. If you choose to calculate the field with a SQL expression this uses the calculate operation and completes within a matter of seconds for Online and Portal. 
  • BUG-000131189: The Undo geoprocessing tools documentation does not specify that opting to continue the edit session without saving or discarding edits is not possible with hosted feature layers.
    • This bug addresses the points made in Zachary's post that I was able to reproduce. You may want to consider logging an ArcGIS Idea for this functionality. 

These bugs are not published to the Esri Support site yet, but if you post your customer number here or let me know through a direct message I can attach your account to each. 

Hope this helps and have a good weekend ahead,

-Peter 

BenjaminMittler
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for the update Peter, always a good thing to find out you aren't going crazy. We are customer #693.

ThibeautFormesyn
New Contributor

Hi

I notice the same problem with me.
I want to select and remove +-7000 features from an AOL feature layer in ArcGIS Pro. This does take a very long time. Is there any view on when this would improve?

KevinHanson1
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have had similar issues when editing an ArcGIS Online Hosted Feature Layer related table (90,000+ records) in ArcGIS Pro 2.9. I agree that it goes much faster when doing a field calculate using SQL. This speed is what I would expect however I can't run field calculate outside an edit session so there is some danger in that. My preferred method with this data is to update in an edit session inside the Attributes Pane. This is incredibly slow when updating more than 500+ records at at time. I made the mistake  (before seeing this post) to try to update a string of 30,000 records all at once in the Attributes Pane. It pretty much took an entire 8 hour day to edit. My guess is that the Attributes Pane utilizes python or arcade language rather than SQL thus the latency. Just thought I would add my two cents. I will continue to update this data using Field Calculate and SQL though hope Esri figures out a solution for editing ArcGIS Online hosted data in ArcGIS Pro for many records at a time. 

-Kevin

0 Kudos