Related records don't display in new Map Viewer but do in old Map Viewer

02-07-2022 07:13 AM
Labels (3)
luckachi
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to figure out why one of my web maps is unable to access the related table. When I open the webmap in the old map viewer, I see the "Show Related Records" at the bottom of the popup, however, when I open the same webmap in the new map viewer this does not exist.

I do have another webmap that contains a layer with a related table and it works just fine with the new map viewer.

I would really like to avoid re-creating the table/layers/relationship...

55 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Paul,

I haven't looked for one yet. Hopefully Esri can chime in?

Also - side note, I haven't been able to get my data to work yet so I'm still testing to see if I can get the related record to show up in the pop-up. In Map Viewer when I click on "Add content" I don't see "choose Related records". https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/configure-pop-ups-mv.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_723223B95... Anyone else have that problem?

bsanders69
Occasional Contributor

Obviously still a year out it would seem.  I can't even imagine this happened in the first place and the fact that they left out Enterprise in the planning is a sobering thought!  We just have not choice but to use classic viewer for the next few years.

rescuemap
New Contributor III

The silence from esri is deafening. What an absolute joke of a migration to the new map viewer - I'd say most people use a relational database structure, not having it available in the web is an absolute disgrace. Someone from esri needs to provide an update and product managers heads should roll.

luckachi
Occasional Contributor III

Unfortunately, still no updates/changes for layers that are not hosted 🙁 

bsanders69
Occasional Contributor
One of the reasons we are stuck with Enterprise 10.9.1 and Classic Map Viewer for the foreseeable future!
0 Kudos
CalenDaugherty
New Contributor III

I posted here around a year ago, citing a ESRI road map that indicated related records would be in the new map viewer in “Early 2022”. Obviously that time has come and gone. I though it was finally here with the update from a few weeks ago, but as others have indicated, this update is for hosted layers only.

Would love to hear some answers from ESRI as to the when related records coming from an Enterprise GDB can be used in the new mapviewer and new apps. Are related records in an Enterprise GDB going away? If so, I think GIS users need to know so they can plan appropriately. Related records in hosted features are pretty limited at the moment. It frustrating to try and stay up to date with the latest versions of apps when seemingly basic functionality like this is left out.  To me, related records are a pretty core functionality. If ESRI wants users to embrace their vision of “next generation” GIS, then they should either migrate core functionalities or provide a roadmap of how existing workflows should be replaced.

ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Agreed. I upgraded to 11.1 without even realizing this functionality wouldn't be available. It seemed so inherently necessary that it didn't even cross my mind. So now I have to temper user expectations about New Map Viewer capabilities. Some of my users just simply wont be able to use it  like I'd hoped. 

It is a bit telling/frustrating that ESRI staff have been totally absent from this thread though. I know they attempt to address concerns on many community threads so I do wish we'd hear from them.

ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @ZachBodenner , can you elaborate on how the upgrade to 11.1 was an issue? Was it upgrading Portal and now the classic map viewer isn't available anymore? We'll be upgrading soon so I want to make sure I'm aware of all issues. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Sure, so it's not a breaking change at 11.1. Map Viewer Classic is still available and you can view related records in popups as you can in earlier versions. You can also still build web app builder applications against those maps (at least for another year or whatever). 

The reason I phrased it the way I did is because ESRI keeps pumping up their new offerings (Map Viewer and Experience Builder), especially as incentives for upgrading to 11.1, as the New Map Viewer is now the default map tool (at least compared to 10.8.1 which I had previously been running).

I also told my users about all the cool stuff in the new map viewer, only to have to backtrack and say "but if your application happens to rely on this very basic and important function, you're S.O.L." So yeah you can upgrade without issue, it's just tough to swallow that ESRI calls the upgrades important modernization steps, when they have actual step-backs in available tools.