Publisher Role vs. Admin role frustrations

Jump to solution
05-22-2019 09:59 AM
DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

As a consultant, I set up an AGOL account for an organization. I created a few web maps and feature layers that go with Survey123 and Collector to get them started.  I gave Publisher status (the highest one, right?) to one of the organization's employees, assuming that she could take my layers and maps, and edit them to her needs.  However, we have run into the following problems (so far)...

1. Only the creator of a web map can change the symbology of a feature within a web map.

2. Only the creator of a feature layer can change the attribute table field structure (like creating a pull-down list from a list of values in a field).

It seems that the Admin role is to be hand-holder and master of all, but that is not what I want.  I want to give members roles so that they can make changes and edit layers/maps as they need to. I really don't want to give her Admin privileges, but it seems that is what I must do.  Also - isnt the point of groups so that members can share their data and maps with the groups? Am I missing something?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You do not have to give other users admin access to update items. When you create a group you need to make sure you enable the group capability that allows others to update items and the user has the ability to modify items.

Then when you share the items to the group you check the items under your content you want to share and click on the Share> Access and update capabilities which will then show only the groups the support other group members to update items within the group.

Then users can go in and modify the layers in that group and save those changes back to the item.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You do not have to give other users admin access to update items. When you create a group you need to make sure you enable the group capability that allows others to update items and the user has the ability to modify items.

Then when you share the items to the group you check the items under your content you want to share and click on the Share> Access and update capabilities which will then show only the groups the support other group members to update items within the group.

Then users can go in and modify the layers in that group and save those changes back to the item.

DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your response Russel.  I have had problems creating a group with the privileges you mention above because then I can't add members with lower permissions (like those that can view data but not edit it).  Its been very frustrating. 

0 Kudos