Map Viewer is slow, including setting default visualization

07-01-2022 01:34 PM
Labels (1)
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Does anyone have any suggestions for making new Map viewer not be so slow?

This seems to be a recurring issue. I like a lot of Map Viewer's functionality, but I really am having a hard time waiting for it to do anything.

It is painful to try to make any changes to a map, such as filtering or changing symbology. Forget editing. I understand it on maps with a bunch of stuff, but it's even affecting setting visualization for feature classes on their own item page. I just set symbology for an empty feature class and it took forever to load. I do not mean the map, I mean each menu when you click on it or make any changes.

I'm also confused because all of the applications that use the maps don't seem to have any slowness? Collector/FieldMaps has no problem, for example. Just Map Viewer seems to be slow.

If anyone has any tips for making it not so slow, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

30 Replies
CMV_Erik
Occasional Contributor

No suggestions, but we have been troubleshooting the same problem with Esri support team. We have started suggesting people use Field Maps as a workaround. 

0 Kudos
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor
That’s part of the issue; I’m trying to configure things for use in FieldMaps and it’s just taking forever.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the map and we can take a look? 

0 Kudos
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Russell,

I don't have a map that's shareable right now, but I did some testing. To be honest, this issue might just be a limitation of the tech.

Another thing I'm unsure of is if Map Viewer runs better on some browsers or not, and how much that might be causing my issues.

I'm using Edge (I know) since that's what we use at work, but if it runs better on other browsers, I'd appreciate knowing about it. Maybe this would all get better if I just switched to Chrome or Firefox or something.

I'm spoilering the timing that I think is just par for the course. I'm not sure how much can actually be changed.

Spoiler
  • In particular, opening the properties tab tends to take a while. To be fair, only 4-6 seconds, and since it is a synthesis of the other tabs, I think that's annoying but fair.

• Opening the map takes typically around 30 seconds before I can actually open menus. Testing on a feature class's visualization page (about 6 records) took about 25 seconds, while opening a map with plenty of layers took about 40 seconds. Given the huge number of records in the actual map, this discrepancy makes sense.

• Opening the other menus typically is a 2-3 seconds, although things like pop-ups and symbology tend to take longer, even if no expressions are used.

• Filtering is generally kind of slow, both in un/applying the filters and editing them, taking several seconds to filter about 20 records down to one, using one clause.

Zooming tends to lag. Again, to be expected with lots of records to redraw.

These are the two things that I think can be changed.

• Opening up the Arcade editor takes a while, often longer than 7 seconds.
  • There is significant lag while trying to click on another menu while one is open or opening.
    • Given the several seconds it frequently takes to open a menu, misclicking and trying to correct the click can take a long time; you're not really sure what you've clicked and it isn't responsive enough for you to know when to stop clicking.
    • This also includes just running the mouse down the side to highlight each menu's button.
  • Adding and removing Layers takes a long time.

I do want to reiterate that I do understand that sometimes things just take a while to happen. There's a lot of stuff going on in Map Viewer, especially when you have several different layers all doing different things. When it works, it works great. My complaint is just how long it takes to get there.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yup definitely will need a copy of the map to help assist looking into it.  If you can pop the map and layers into a group and invite russell_jsapi to that group and I can take a look.

how many layers in the map are you using? What types of layers are you using?

Are you using edge or edge(chromium)?

0 Kudos
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you to @Ole_MariusGulbrandsen  for poking this thread.

I'm using Edge (Chromium).

Layers vary. My project map has upwards of 30, but again, this lag also appears on the visualization tab of individual item pages. It makes sense to lag with 30 layers. It doesn't for one.

AlfredBaldenweck_0-1657224609957.png

It's also worth pointing out (and most frustrating), that this lag occurs (on the Visualization tab), in layers with ZERO records. Seriously, make a new feature class, any number of fields, and before you populate any records, try setting a default visualization. It is sloooow, which is baffling because there's nothing for it to render.

I unfortunately do not have any maps that I can share other than just creating an empty feature class to play with.

0 Kudos
Ole_MariusGulbrandsen
New Contributor II

We also have the same problem with the new map viewer 🙄 Everything seems to work fine in the old map viewer and/or web app builder. We started to use the new map viewer and experience builder because we wanted to group layers and make use of all the new widgets in EB. Now all of our bigger project running on the new map viewer and in Experience builder are so slow. I do not want to convert back to the old map viewer and webappbuilder, because we really like and find the new funcionalities in EB and new map viewer very useful.

Link to two of our road project running on EB and new map viewer: 

Old project.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/3c016ede34fc4936a91bd33c17f3b5c1

New project: 

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/4f40ac3daaad4eb197c39189b53052e5

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you seeing Map Viewer behaving slow or Experience Builder? I checked the load times for the maps in Map Viewer and was seeing 3.5-4 seconds with both maps from the 2 different experience builder links.  Map Viewer Classic was showing roughly 4-4.5 seconds for me. 

0 Kudos
Ole_MariusGulbrandsen
New Contributor II

Both, Experience Builder and the new map viewer are slow in mye opinion. Turning on and off sublayers, using the draw and print widgets. Working with the symbology, labels etc on the map layers, moving around in the map and more. For me this works so much quicker in the old web map and web app builder unfortunately. 

Link to both of the projects web maps: 

E18_TB_2D_kart (arcgis.com)    

E18_Gjerstad_Bamble (arcgis.com) 

0 Kudos