Juypter Notebook (via ArcPro) missing menu bar

11-20-2021 02:55 AM
Abdulqadoos
New Contributor

So when ESRI's ArcPro was updated a week+ ago, the menu bar in juypter notebook disappeared. Now I have a hard time resetting kernels and doing basic functions (not stopping me but extremely annoying). Screenshot below.

Any ideas on how I turn it back on. I can see a flash of the menu with the Juypter logo when I first open a notebook, but then all I get across the top is "Edit, View, Inset, Cell, Help" and I know the View button isn't showing all the options it normally does.

Yes, the instance of Juypter notebook is installed as part of ArcGIS Pro - since it added it anyway, I've just been using that.

Thanks in advance. Link

Kelly

Juypter Notebook version 5.7.10 ArcPro 2.9.0

23 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

strange... when I ran Notebook inside pro, there were no menus, so I used Jupyter Lab outside of Pro.

re-started Pro, then used a Notebook for a different purpose and voila! there were Notebook menus 

Something was "reset" but I don't know by what or how.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

[BUG-000144913: After the installation of ArcGIS Pro 2.9, when Jupyter Notebook is opened on the browser, the menu bar is missing.] was submitted with technical support.  You can find that here: https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDE0NDkxMw==

We ask that if you are affected by this issue to please visit that Support page and use the Subscribe button.  This will set you up for notifications as well as increment the count on the bug which helps in the development prioritization process.

Thank you, and we apologize for the inconvenience!

KayleighWilson
New Contributor II

I'm having the same issue! I subscribed to the bug report Kory linked. But I'd like to add that in addition to the menu bar, logo, and notebook name missing, code cells,  output dataframes and plots are truncated on the right hand side of the screen without the ability to scroll right/left to view the entire thing. Anyone else having that issue? I also noticed that when I open a notebook in a web browser, everything looks normal while the kernel is loading, then once the kernel has loaded the view changes and the menus go missing, plots are truncated, etc. Here is a screenshot of what my browser looks like. Hope that helps the bug report move along quickly because the work around suggested previously isn't working for me unfortunately. 

KayleighWilson_0-1639088511051.png

0 Kudos
TimG
by
New Contributor III

Yes, I am the same.  Menu disappeared in the Jupyter Notebook.  Haven't managed to get it back either.  Have subscribed to the bug. 

0 Kudos
EugenioArima
New Contributor III

Yep, figures seem to be cropped when displayed in Jupyter.

0 Kudos
KevinGrootendorst1
New Contributor II

I'm also affected and have subscribed to the bug. No solution yet.

0 Kudos
LukeSavage
Occasional Contributor II

Has anyone found a workaround for this?  ArcGIS Pro 2.9.1 Jupyter still broken.

0 Kudos
Adam222
New Contributor II

Any update on this ?  

Jupyter note book is almost completely broken without that tool bar. I can't stop the kernel or restart it or anything ?  

Jupyter notebook also dose not work in Pro for me. It is super slow and barely works. Freezes every time I click on anything or try to type. 

Please fix!! It's been over 2 months and nothing has been done. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I apologize for the delay, but the link to the bug shared earlier (https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDE0NDkxMw==) provides the status. It appears that this will be fixed in 2.9 Patch 2 (2.9.2) which I believe will be available in February. Watch for the automatic updates in Pro for when the patch is available or Subscribe to download updates on the support site: https://support.esri.com/en/Products/Desktop/arcgis-desktop/arcgis-pro/2-9#downloads

Thank you

MohandKETTOUCHE
New Contributor III

Alternative that work for me :

Copy 2 files (messages.css & messages.js)

from directory :

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\share\jupyter\kernels\ArcGISPro\default

To Jupyter Customizing directory (it look like this in windows) :

C:\Users\YourUsername\Anaconda3\Lib\site-packages\notebook\static\custom

2022-02-07 14_28_53-custom.png

restarting jupyter notebook.