Select to view content in your preferred language

Issues publishing a scene from large LAS file

06-02-2020 08:38 AM
ToddEason
New Contributor II

I have published a scene layer from an LAS file that contains approx 100 million points. I have previously done this with smaller datasets but with this one I am having some major rendering issues of the points. Parts of the scene render correctly and never have an issue, other areas are bad 100% of the time, and some areas are just completely random. I have tried multiple settings with the display limits and density and seem to have the same result. I have no issues viewing the LAS in ArcGIS Pro. Any advice would be appreciated. I have attached some images showing the issues. 

Thanks,

10 Replies
WilliamMorrish
Esri Contributor

The file is a single 3.5GB LAS file which even Quick terrain modeler has trouble opening.

Loading and processing this single file with the "Create point cloud scene layer" geoprocessing tool is not optimal.

It would be better to create a number of smaller LAS tiles in the region of 50 to 150 MB each and than creating the SLPK from the LAS dataset. This will allow for the efficient processing and indexing of both the dense point cloud data around the building and the sparse point cloud data at the periphery of the scan.  

Steps are:

Create LAS dataset from single large LAS dataset.

Use the Tile LAS to create optimum set of sized tiles for building and parking area.

Use create point cloud scene layer package with the following settings. 

Point Size to 0.01, XY Max error 0.001 and Z Max error to 0.001 cooking with Scene layer version 2.X

You should than have the optimum SLPK that performs as you require in Pro and AGOL

All the best, 

Seán Morrish | Data Wrangler, 3D Scene Layers