Implementing Utility Isolation Trace within Water Outage Solution

Jump to solution
05-16-2019 10:28 AM
KyleCrawford2
New Contributor III

My goal is to implement the Utility Isolation Trace portion of the Water Outage solution which leverages the Network Trace Widget in Web App Builder. I'm trying to implement this solution with our existing utility feature data set and geometric network instead of appending the data into the hosted feature layers created when deploying the solution in Pro. I was successful in generating a web isolation trace and publishing the trace service portions of the tutorial using my existing SDE data. However after configuring the Network Trace Widget and running it the result "Trace can not be completed. Please try again."

Has anyone had success in implementing this solution without loading/appending their data to the hosted feature layers? The ideal situation would be to use production data within my SDE instead of having to keep hosted feature layers up to date. 

Derek LawScott Oppmann

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GelisaSlyer
New Contributor III

Kyle,

There could a few different things happening.

1. If the python toolbox is located in the ArcGIS Server folder or any folder registered with ArcGIS server, the package ignores this content and does not include it. You can verify this in  ArcMap by connecting to your gp service on your server and running the tool. If you get an error here then it may be an issue with the placement of the python toolbox folder.  See more at our Frequently asked questions—Get Started | ArcGIS for Water.
  2. Another, possibility may be your placement of the flag for the trace. Did you set the snapping feature and snapping tolerance based on the Water Outage help? If so it's there is a snapping tolerance of 50 feet and has mains as a snapping feature. If you place the starting point more than 50 feet from a main it can't perform the trace. 

I hope this helps let me know if this resolves the issue.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
GelisaSlyer
New Contributor III

Kyle,

There could a few different things happening.

1. If the python toolbox is located in the ArcGIS Server folder or any folder registered with ArcGIS server, the package ignores this content and does not include it. You can verify this in  ArcMap by connecting to your gp service on your server and running the tool. If you get an error here then it may be an issue with the placement of the python toolbox folder.  See more at our Frequently asked questions—Get Started | ArcGIS for Water.
  2. Another, possibility may be your placement of the flag for the trace. Did you set the snapping feature and snapping tolerance based on the Water Outage help? If so it's there is a snapping tolerance of 50 feet and has mains as a snapping feature. If you place the starting point more than 50 feet from a main it can't perform the trace. 

I hope this helps let me know if this resolves the issue.

KyleCrawford2
New Contributor III

Gelisa,

Attempting to verify the gp service in ArcMap resulted in the tool failing. However I went through the steps again but moved the WaterOutageComponents file to a folder that is not registered with our server site. I was able to run the Web Isolation Trace tool but the service failed to publish "Failed to create service definition". 

0 Kudos
GelisaSlyer
New Contributor III

Kyle,

Did you rerun the Generate Web Isolation Trace Toolbox? If you didn't then follow the below:

1. Delete the old IsolationTrace.pyt you created
  2. Then you will need to rerun the Generate Web Isolation Trace Toolbox this will create an new IsolationTrace.pyt
  3. Follow the steps for publishing the isolation trace service and that should fix the issue
KyleCrawford2
New Contributor III

Gelisa,

I did rerun the tools after moving the downloaded folder to a different location, but forgot to delete the original. I was able to publish the gp tool and configure the widget to work correctly. Either it was an issue with the location of the files or the fact that I didn't delete the original even though I downloaded a new Water Outage Components folder. My suggestion would be to edit the documentation to clarify that the tools need to be copied to the server when publishing and not reside in a registered server folder.

I appreciate your help and quick responses on this issue! 

Thanks,

Kyle

0 Kudos
VanessaSimpson2
New Contributor III

Kyle,

Can you clarify the last line about "Tools need to be copied to the server when publishing and not reside in a registered server folder"? Are you saying to push the tools to be hosted in the AGO cloud?

I am having this same error message pop up and can't figure out what the heck I am doing wrong. 

0 Kudos
GelisaSlyer
New Contributor III

Vanessa, 

I've attached a Frequently asked questions for Water Outage regarding the issue you may be running into. The Isolation Trace Toolbox cannot be located in an ArcGIS Server folder or a folder that is registered with ArcGIS Server. This causes issues with the geoprocessing service when it's published.

Frequently asked questions—Get Started | ArcGIS for Water 

0 Kudos
VanessaSimpson2
New Contributor III

Gelisa,

I was just reading that over. 

I am actually using the older, Network Trace widget. Wondering if the same would be true for that one as it is for the new er Isolation Trace Toolbox. I will give it a try and see if that helps me out. 

Thank you for the quick reply,

Vanessa

0 Kudos