How can I link excel to a hosted feature service layer?

03-07-2020 09:54 AM
LukeGilner1
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to link excel to a hosted feature service layer?  I would just like to see the attribute data in excel from an agol layer.  I don't need to edit the data through excel; I just want to view the data and see updates in the underlying attributes when the excel file is opened or refreshed.

I have read about ArcGIS Maps for office, but I'm not sure this will get me what I need - I haven't tried it out yet.

I also found this thread: Using Excel to access Arcgis online (automated)  but haven't tried it out yet either.

Will either of these two options work, or does anyone have other suggestions?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LukeGilner1
Occasional Contributor

Bueller....    Bueller.....   Bueller.....

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Did you try either of the resources you reference in your original post?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
LukeGilner1
Occasional Contributor

No, I haven't yet.  I was hoping someone could lead me down the right path before I head down the wrong rabbit hole.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Well, I wish I could help more (unfortunately I don't have hands on experience with this workflow) but it seems that the (very awesomely detailed) workflow that is outlined in the comments of this post by Jean-Yves Landry‌ might do what you need. 

Hopefully someone will be able to chime in with some more helpful advice, but in the meantime, it can't hurt to try it out rather than waiting, right?    I'm actually quite intrigued to give it a try myself, just for the fun of it...

Good luck!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
LukeGilner1
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, that's the link that I posted above.  It does sound like it will do what I'm looking for, and seems explained well enough that even I could figure it out.  It seems a bit intimidating at this point though, so I'm hoping there's an easier method.  I'll probably give it a try, if I can ever find the time.

0 Kudos
NickKopczyk
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'd like to find a better method for this as well.  Although I can get the process to work with ArcGIS Online, it does not work quite the same through Portal.  I'd also like a regular connection that can be used for Power BI as well.  Any help or pointing to resources would be appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Kudos