Select to view content in your preferred language

Getting the basicviewer template to work with my map

06-15-2012 10:16 AM
GavinMcGhie
Occasional Contributor
Hi all
I created an ArcGIS Online map, shared it public, and then downloaded the basicviewer template. I followed the directions to unzip and copy the files to my AGS server. I can view the default map in that viewer just fine, but when I switch the map Id to any one of the arcgis.com maps, I have no luck. The result is just a blank screen or an error that says
Unable to create map : '"this._url.query' is null or not an object"
depending on which map I use. I've reproduced the error with several different maps, including a very basic one that I just created as a test.

Note that my Arcgis online maps use one public service (non esri) as a basemap and 2 non-secured local map services that are behind our firewall. The maps all work just fine using the arcgi.com site. Has anyone run into this issue? Ideas?
Thanks, Gavin
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
It may be a firewall problem. Are you accessing the application you deployed from inside your firewall, while connected to your network? You might try using some debugging tools to watch the requests get called and see any errors. Google Chrome has built in developer tools or there's an app called Fiddler you might try.

If the web map has purely public services, does the app work? For example, with just the basemap does it work?

Mike
0 Kudos
GavinMcGhie
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Mike
I am indeed inside the firewall and on the local network, but as I said the maps work fine on AGOL so I would think my PC has all required acces. I used Fiddler with the map that generates the error I noted and there were zero errors. I then created a new AGOL map with just the public basemap and no local services. I swapped out the webmap Id and now get an error (webpage error not fiddler):
"unable to create map: aborted the sign in process to avoid sending password over insecure connection"
There are no credentials with this public service, so not sure what passwd is being referenced. Maybe my PC is just tired from a long week...
cheers, Gavin
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
You probably need to set up a proxy. In the Readme.html file that was downloaded, under the section "Install the web application" it says:

If your application edits features in a feature service, enables the elevation chart, contains secure services or web maps that aren't publicly shared or generates requests that exceed 2000 characters you may need to setup and use a proxy page.

There is a link that points here:

http://help.arcgis.com/EN/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/jshelp_start.htm#jshelp/ags_proxy.htm

hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos
GavinMcGhie
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Mike
I'd have to involve IT in setting up a proxy, so that decreases my motivation a bit... None of the criteria listed apply in my case, so I figured a proxy was not required. I appreciate the feedback and may tackle it when I have more urgent needs. Right now we're just playing with the various Web mapping solutions (Silverlight, Flex, Java) trying to decide which way to jump.
Thanks, Gavin
0 Kudos