Edit Creator field of hosted feature service

Jump to solution
06-21-2018 08:08 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a hosted feature service with creator and editor tracking enabled. I am the owner of this hosted feature service. Our fieldworkers are using Survey123 to collect into that hosted feature service. Recently one of them had issues syncing some of their collected data. I followed the instructions here to pull the SQLite database from their device and synced those collected points from my computer. This worked very well! However, even though I did not collect these points, because they were uploaded from my account, the Creator field shows my username. I want that field to show the username of the person who actually did the collection. I tried to use field calculator to replace my username with the fieldworker's username. I also tried to manually input values. This seems to not work because editing is not enabled for the Creator field. I have tried to enable editing for this field in ArcGIS Pro and using the admin interface for ArcGIS REST services (<host>/arcgis/rest/admin/services/<service> -> Update Definition). In both cases, there is some indication that the Creator field should be editable, but the field remains uneditable.

Is there any way for a user to edit the Creator field in a hosted feature services with tracking enabled?

I understand why this wouldn't normally be desirable, but as the owner of the item it seems like there should be a way for me to do this.

19 Replies
MingHome
New Contributor III

Hi, James,

Is it possible to select other fields for the user and time stamp of editing, tracking?  Or change the name of these fields, either on the item detail page setting page or using Python API?

Ming

0 Kudos
SamanthaGriffore
Occasional Contributor

Hello, also looking for elaboration on how to update the Creator field on a hosted feature layer generated from Survey123 form submissions. Because we use the Inbox feature, it's important that the Creator be correct so that our WHERE query of Creator =${username} returns all records collected by a specific username. If Creator is incorrect, we cannot return the correct records.

I tried the solution from James of turning off the "Keep track of who created and last updated features" in the Settings on AGOL, bringing the layer into ArcGIS Pro and editing, but the field is still locked.

Any further insights on this?

Anneka_France
Occasional Contributor III

@JamesTedrick is there an updated workflow for modifying the editor tracking fields? It seems that this solution is out of date or does not work in all scenarios. It would be great if there was a way to do this through the ArcGIS API for Python.

We have a similar issue to those above. We need to update the 'created by' field for records submitted through Survey123. We are moving our initiative to ArcGIS Hub, after initially piloting it using a public Survey123 form. We need a way to assign the legacy data from the public Survey123 form to the users who will now be using ArcGIS Hub community accounts to upload and edit/update their own records.

Thanks

Anneka France
Technical Manager at The Rivers Trust
JarrettGreen
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm looking for a solution to this as well. I need to update editor tracking fields of a table in a hosted feature service without having to create a copy, download, update the editor tracking in a file GDB, and republish. Given the size of the feature service, this is a multi-day process and maintenance window.

I've looked at the Pro and Online GUIs, Python API and the REST API (addToDefinition, updateDefinition) with no luck. I feel like I had done this before with REST API calls, but now any modifications I try to make to the editFieldsInfo object return a {"success": "true"} response but nothing changes on the table.

Thanks,

Jarrett

kmsmikrud
Regular Contributor

Hi!,

I am also still searching for a way to efficiently edit the Creator/CreationDate/Editor/EditDate fields in AGOL feature layers. I was passed this link as a method shared by @ScottMoore__Olympia_

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-blog/updating-editor-tracking-data-in-a-hosted-feature/b... 

I haven't went thru all the steps yet.  I wish there was just a way to disable editor tracking and then it would allow you to change the value like any other cell. I know in the past I've spent hours disabling tracking and then trying to get it to append records with the original Creator/CreationDates but even though that setting is disabled its like it persists and would still put myself as the Creator. I'm not sure if there is a lag or what, but it is really a very frustrating task. Similar to other folks sometimes I have survey data that I didn't collect that during appending gets tagged with my credentials/creation date. 

Its over 4 years since this post and I don't think we have much better solutions as is noted by the posts in the thread for being able to manage these fields.

Hopefully Esri will provide a more efficient means. For instance how do you efficiently edit hundreds of records to get the original CreationDate? I mean Creator is one thing, but each record would have a different CreationDate and querying for each record to update to the original date/time is not efficient yet being able to have the original CreationDate is very important.

Thanks,

Kathy

BKS
by
Occasional Contributor

Ok, now I'm in the same boat as you all.  

@JamesTedrick, any update on how to resolve the issue where I have to append my survey's hosted feature service to a new hosted feature service whilst maintaining the Creator values???

Note - my users must only be able to view/edit their own data.  When I migrate the data to the new feature service, the Creator gets my username, thus they can never view/edit data they've submitted previously.

Any info is appreciated.

Cheers, BKS

LLyons
by
New Contributor III

Anyone have any updates on methods for editing/correcting the Editor and Creator fields?

0 Kudos
RTjoshjones
New Contributor II

I'm also looking for a solution. However, I can edit my Creator and Editor fields as they're not locked. It's created_user that is locked for me so I assume this is the field being used to assign ownership?

0 Kudos
LLyons
by
New Contributor III

I'm curious where (on the feature class AGO page or somewhere in Survey123, or somewhere else) are you able to edit your Creator and Editor fields?

0 Kudos
RTjoshjones
New Contributor II

I opened it in Pro and updated each field using the field calculator. They are not locked for me so this was not an issue.

0 Kudos