Bug? Unable to change Group ownership in UI

Jump to solution
03-31-2022 04:26 PM
Trippetoe
Occasional Contributor III

Hello.

I am an Administrator of our AGOL organization. Starting today (3/31/2022), I am unable to change ownership of a Group.  I've tried to change ownership of groups that i own and for groups that i do not own. I've selected other Admins within our Organization to be the new owner of the groups, but that doesn't work either. I've tried changing ownership for 'pre-existing' groups and for groups that i created today. None of it works.

To reproduce this behavior,

1. go to the 'overview' page of any AGOL Group
  2. Click the Change owner link
  3. Search for members (choose any name that comes up - maybe your AGOL Org admin)
  4. The 'Save' button is never enabled

Is this a bug? I read about some recent updates to Content transferring here, but that article states that Admins should be able to transfer ownership (assuming that "content" includes 'Groups').

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Trippetoe

Esri tech support has confirmed that this is a bug, and they are working on a patch that they hope to have in place in the next few days

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Trippetoe

Here's a nice twist that i just learned....   my admin account is able to transfer ownership via a python script. However, i cannot perform the same operation via the UI.  So it seems like an issue/bug specific to the UI?

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Trippetoe,

Is the group a shared update group? There are additional conditions around these groups that may need to be met.

Do other user accounts receive this error? Do you get it in a different browser?

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/administer/manage-groups.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_A9F55C6B4E9C44889...

Is your subscription suspended? i.e. run out of credits or the end of year?

0 Kudos
Trippetoe

Hello.

Thanks for your questions:

- the group type seems to have no impact on the app behavior. Regardless of being shared update or not, i can reproduce the behavior for all groups (again, i am an Org Admin so i've tested groups I own, groups i don't own, collaboration groups, shared update groups, plain-ol-vanilla groups, etc. The behavior is the same.)

- there isn't an error message - its just that the Save button in the Change Owner popup is never enabled. Using chrome dev tools, I checked the response whenever a user name is selected in the popup, and a big load of json is returned, including a list of privileges that includes 'portal:user:receiveItem'

- subscription is not suspended. Everything else about AGOL seems to work fine - including being able to change owner of the group via python script.

- the behavior is the same in Chrome and Edge

0 Kudos
Trippetoe

Esri tech support has confirmed that this is a bug, and they are working on a patch that they hope to have in place in the next few days

0 Kudos
DanNarsavage_IDWR
New Contributor III

We're experiencing this now, a year+ after your issues.  Did you ever hear that the bug was fixed?

0 Kudos
Trippetoe

I had completely forgotten about this bug report so i went back thru our Org's history and found the case. I believe Esri claims that the issue had been resolved: 

Trippetoe_0-1683840727310.png

Despite their claims i still experience the same buggy behavior

DanNarsavage_IDWR
New Contributor III

K thanks.  FWIW your earlier mention of being able to accomplish the ownership change in python prompted us to try using our GeoJobe tools, and that worked fine.  Thanks for that!

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

SP indicates this issue is tied to a service disruption and is generally handled by the operations team.

It's possible that this type of issue may re-occur if the service disruption reoccurs, as opposed to a more conventional bug. Meaning if you suspect the issue is occurring again, a new support case and investigation will need to be opened.