Select to view content in your preferred language

Adding .csv tables to the new ArcGIS Online Map Viewer - Tables no longer supported?

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
NR96
by
New Contributor III

Good Evening,

I have been using the new ArcGIS Online Map Viewer with my high school (Grades 9 to 12) students for the past year.  It is terrific and has enabled me to further my students understanding of the many applications of GIS,

I am building a lesson right now that requires the joining of a .csv file to the attribute table of an existing layer.  This was a simple step up until I tried it tonight.  I spent an hour thinking the problem was with my .csv file.

I now find that ArcGIS Online Map Viewer now does not support tables?  I was able to add the .csv file and complete the table join with no problem in ArcGIS Online Map VIewer Classic.

Please will the ability to add .csv files be re-activated in Map Viewer?  I don't want to have to revert back to the Classic version with my students.  So many of my lessons hinge on table joins.

Any information that you can provide me with would be much appreciated.  Again, up until recently I did not have this difficulty - what happened?

Much appreciated.

Nicholas R.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NR96
by
New Contributor III

Good news.   I tried adding the .csv table one more time today and it worked!  I am not sure what the difficulty was the past few days, however, I am relieved it is no longer a problem.  Much appreciated.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
MiguelParedes
Esri Contributor

Greetings @NR96 

I have to admit that I had not attempted to do a join from a hosted feature layer to a table in the past so your query awakened my curiosity.  

First thing I did is check the documentation and in doing so, I came across the following tutorial: Join Features (Map Viewer) and also a useful tutorial: Join a table to a feature layer in ArcGIS Online.

Since I had some data that was perfect to try the above with, I followed the instructions and was rewarded with success.  I did find the process of adding the table a bit counter-intuitive though because to add it you have to select "Add layer from file" and through that process, in the step for "Location settings" I had to select "None" to bring the table into the Map Viewer.  Once the table was in the Map Viewer Layers list,  I used the Analysis > Join Features function, completed the required information, ran the estimate credits tool (0.048) and ran the tool. The result was a new layer with the joined information as part of it.

I hope the above helps and resolves your issue.

Miguel
0 Kudos
NR96
by
New Contributor III

Good Morning Miguel,

Thank-you so much for taking the time to help me with my adding a .csv table to my list of layers in ArcGIS Online Map Viewer.  It's a process that I have been running repeatedly for the past year with no difficulties.

I tried again this morning using the instructions I give to my students - see Step 8 first attachment to this message - but still no luck.  ArcGIS Online Map Viewer hangs up / gets stuck on Creating Layer (see attachment 2).  The steps I am following are exactly the ones from the tutorial.  I tried the add layer from file option on Map Viewer Classic and it worked no problem - unfortunately, when I tried to bring the project back into the Map Viewer it gives me the tables not supported in Map Viewer message (Attachment 3).

It's very odd as I say this has been a simple / quick process up until now.  I am a little worried (maybe really worried) that I won't be able to complete my lessons in the new Map Viewer.  I am more worried now as the process worked for you but not me and I am following the same steps that you did.  I was hoping it was a problem on the ArcGIS Online end of things.

Any further advice or information that anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Nicholas

ps.  I attached a sample .csv table that I know works for adding a layer as the fourth attachment.  

0 Kudos
NR96
by
New Contributor III

Hi again Miguel,

A quick question to ask how long the process of adding a .csv took you?  It's normally a matter of seconds as I am using smaller data tables.  I am waiting 4-5 minutes before just cancelling the operation as ArcGIS Online Map Viewer gets stuck on Creating Layer - the circle just keeps going round and round.  

I just went through the Indian State tutorial and had the same problem.  I know that I am following the correct steps.

If the problem is not on the ArcGIS Online end of things maybe it is my ArcGIS Online account that is the problem?  The latter seems unlikely as I have had no troubles with adding a .csv file up until now and I can still add the tables in the Classic version.

Sincerely,

Nicholas

0 Kudos
Koen
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hey NR96,

Thanks for being so elaborate on the issue you are facing in this post, me and another analyst have tried to reproduce the issue with your data on our end, but we were unable to. 

We would like to troubleshoot this issue further; do you happen to have the ability to open a technical support case?

0 Kudos
NR96
by
New Contributor III

Hi Koen,

Thank-you so much. 

I have Administrator privileges through my School ArcGIS Online account.  I have not tried opening a technical support case.  I will try now.

It's all very odd.  I am most appreciative of your help.

Nicholas

0 Kudos
NR96
by
New Contributor III

Hi Koen,

It looks as though I do not have the right permissions to request technical support.  

Is there another avenue that I can use to get help?

Any help to solve my problem would be much appreciated.  

Thanks.

Nicholas

0 Kudos
NR96
by
New Contributor III

I am wondering if perhaps the latest Map Viewer update might have altered the .csv adding layer from file option?  I had not used ArcGIS Online since the update. I am working right no in the Map Viewer Classic with no difficulty - I joined the table, created my graduated colour map and was able to go back into Map Viewer to make the map presentation.  I just clicked on close when the error message saying Map Viewer is unable to support tables appeared.  Not ideal but a good work around for now.

0 Kudos
NR96
by
New Contributor III

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/struggling-to-upload-csv-and-have-it-recognize...

I found the above link of someone having the same problem as me with the new Map Viewer a couple of years ago.  I am hopeful that this can be resolved.  It's strange as this was a simple step, no difficulties for over a year - the whole time I have been using the new Map Viewer.

0 Kudos
NR96
by
New Contributor III

Good news.   I tried adding the .csv table one more time today and it worked!  I am not sure what the difficulty was the past few days, however, I am relieved it is no longer a problem.  Much appreciated.