Railroad Network Modeling Part 2

Jump to solution
08-17-2015 12:04 PM
thomasbales
Occasional Contributor

First of all, thanks for all the help modeling U-turns on the rail that I have been tenaciously working on. The system is working along with specific turn policies that allow our vehicles to hop the mains at switch points while continuing forward until a designated turnaround point.

The next task (the next to the last one) is too look a historical train counts on each of main lines and set a cost value to simulate traversing a line if you are traveling against the flow of traffic. To clarify, if a main line's (rail) traffic has a tendency to travel more east then west - if I route a vehicle that has its next stop west against traffic is should perhaps move at 60-70% normal speed.

Is there a way to model this restriction? Meaning, on the same section of rail the speed should have a different speed value (hours, days, or minutes to traverse)  base on whether it is a to-from or a from-to (ie east-west or west-east direction).

I know I may not have been clear enough on the question, but essentially I am trying to model routes with or against the flow of historical traffic in network analyst. Also, this is a standard network dataset not a geometric one.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Thomas.  Good news!  This should be easy to do.

When you're setting up your cost attribute, in the Evaluators dialog, you should see a column called Direction, and there should be two entries for each source feature class for your network, From-To and To-From.  This is where you can have the network calculate a different cost depending on the direction of travel.

Note: You need to make sure the direction of digitization for your rail line edges is consistent.  If From-To isn't consistently East-West (or vice-versa), then you're going to get funky answers.  I believe there's a flip tool in the Editing toolbox, so you might end up having to flip some lines.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Thomas.  Good news!  This should be easy to do.

When you're setting up your cost attribute, in the Evaluators dialog, you should see a column called Direction, and there should be two entries for each source feature class for your network, From-To and To-From.  This is where you can have the network calculate a different cost depending on the direction of travel.

Note: You need to make sure the direction of digitization for your rail line edges is consistent.  If From-To isn't consistently East-West (or vice-versa), then you're going to get funky answers.  I believe there's a flip tool in the Editing toolbox, so you might end up having to flip some lines.