Centrality analysis with GIS network analyst

10-29-2010 01:32 PM
AndresSevtsuk
New Contributor
Can somebody please recommend a download for a toolbox that can do Centrality analysis on spatial networks in GIS network analyst? Specifically interested in Betweenness centrality and Closeness Centrality, thought other methods would be of help too.

Thanks,

Andres
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndresSevtsuk
New Contributor
For others who might be interested, we built a toolbox that performs centrality analysis on spatial networks. It builds an adjacency matrix for instances (i.e. buildings) on a network, and can compute Reach, Gravity Index, Betweenness, Closeness, and Straightness on spatial networks. Download from: http://cityform.mit.edu/projects/urban-network-analysis.html

Andres Sevtsuk
Lecturer in Architecture/Urban Studies & Planning
Massachusetts Institute of Technlogy
0 Kudos
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor
Andres,

Great work! 

I tried a sample analysis on my own network dataset and got the error "Invalid value for Impedance Attribute".   Is there a specific impedance attribute name or type that is necessary?

Thanks
0 Kudos
DavidWasserman
Occasional Contributor III

I realize this is a very old thread, but I have been increasingly looking for something like this toolbox to identify low stress bicycle network bottlenecks. I see the toolbox is only supported up to 10.2 and I have a few questions. 

1. Is this toolbox still maintained? asevtsuk‌ do you have any plans to distribute through Github? 

2. The license on the toolbox is a creative commons license that is pretty restrictive (no commercial use).  Will this be changed in the future? 

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos
LeileiDuan1
New Contributor III

I have the same question. It seems like the Google group stopped posting after 2016. I did hear that the Rhino version is being maintained. I ran the test data on 10.5 and it worked, after 7.5 hr though. I'm having a hard time getting the tool to work for Tampa buildings. Let me know if you hear anything.

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman

Hey Leilei, 

I would actually suggest installing NetworkX and using their centrality metrics, is the easiest open source alternative. They have shapefile import/export. I think in the long term Pandana might provide more support these types of metrics. 

Hope all is well. 

David

David Wasserman, AICP
BrooksBreece
New Contributor III

Good morning,

The shapefile import/export requires that you have gdal installed, correct?  Holisticbynature‌, do you have any sample code of how you have used networkx in spatial analyses? 

1. What kinds of questions were you answering? 
  2. Did you build a script tool or use networkx in a script outside of ArcGIS?

Thank you for your previous response.

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
DavidWasserman

Hi Brooks, 

Your questions are timely. I am working on a set of tools for network analysis/smart location database generation that I want to opensource at some point in 2018. I am working with Google Datalab to work with NetworkX (Vs 1.5.0), Geopandas, and Pandana to get a workflow taking data processed & edited in ArcGIS into pandana/networkx graphs. 

Questions I am interested in answering rest with accessibility analysis and how different graph indexes can be used to determine an edges importance to overall network connectivity (as part of a prioritization analysis). For the time being I am contemplating pandana/networkx for the task outside of ArcGIS (the speed of pandana queries is part of the reason). I will have some code samples later, but I have been referring to SEMCOG code that provides some examples on converting NetworkX  (import shapefile) graphs to Pandana...

Hope you find this helpful. If you want to collaborate on this, also willing to talk about that. 

Thanks, 

David

David Wasserman, AICP
0 Kudos