Select to view content in your preferred language

Process memory Utilized

Jump to solution
09-26-2023 03:01 AM
RadhakrishnanNeelakantan
New Contributor III

I am using the ArcGIS Monitor 2023.2

When I added a Windows host component to be monitored, i observed a metric named : "Process Memory Utilized  - Python.exe%" . I saw a suddent spike on this metric to 100%. But when I looked into the Host server at the time of alert, I could not see any huge memory consumption by python.exe.

How is this metric calculated? there is some description about this in the Monitor Help pages. But can someone let me know how this metric is calculated? monitor metric.JPG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

For process information, we use Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process class.  To calculate above %, we use WorkingSetPrivate/Total Physical Memory *100.  We have noticed that sometimes this process class returns short spikes both for CPU and memory that don't correlate perfectly with the total CPU and memory utilization.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

For process information, we use Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process class.  To calculate above %, we use WorkingSetPrivate/Total Physical Memory *100.  We have noticed that sometimes this process class returns short spikes both for CPU and memory that don't correlate perfectly with the total CPU and memory utilization.  

RadhakrishnanNeelakantan
New Contributor III

Thanks for the Explanation Andew. Will use this details to configure the alerts in a more relevant way. I hope this issue gets fixed in the future versions , so tha we can reliably use the metrics to alert / process further actions.

0 Kudos
AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

Thank you @RadhakrishnanNeelakantan  for the feedback.  To help us understand this case better, can you share some additional info: 

1. memory total

AndrewSakowicz_0-1696260001208.png

1. memory utilized, instances and CPU charts for the above corresponding time and python.exe? 

AndrewSakowicz_1-1696260042549.png

3. elaborate on "at the time of alert, I could not see any huge memory consumption by python.exe.".  What was the python.exe utilization in task manager?  Please confirm this was during the time reported python.exe was 100%.

0 Kudos
RadhakrishnanNeelakantan
New Contributor III

Hi Andrew,

Here are the details for the same time period:

1.Memory Total:

RadhakrishnanNeelakantan_0-1696326743301.png

Memory Utilized (total)

RadhakrishnanNeelakantan_1-1696327114701.png

Process CPU Utilized for python:

RadhakrishnanNeelakantan_2-1696327184863.png

Process Instances Python:

RadhakrishnanNeelakantan_3-1696327361434.png

Memory used python

RadhakrishnanNeelakantan_4-1696327421612.png

0 Kudos
AndrewSakowicz
Esri Contributor

Thank you for this additional information.  Please let us know if this happens again.  One way to stop alerting is to increase number of samples to 5.  Note, ArcGIS Monitor is using and reporting the values from this class. 

0 Kudos