Select to view content in your preferred language

Incorrect ArcGIS Monitor Data Expression Results for Portal's Active user count

Thursday
MikeEtterWSB
New Contributor II

I am having a similar issue to what someone else recently reported. I have looked at the examples posted in the esri blog and built the query below.

I want to see a count of users that are currently online. Ideally, I would have a chart that would show the fluctuation in online users over time but at a minimum I need a Indicator to tell me how many are currently online. Here is my expression configuration: 

MikeEtterWSB_0-1720734236298.png

And here is the Administrator view in Portal. You can clearly see that we haven't had 32 users online at any point today, let alone in the last 30 minutes. Am I configuring something wrong? I appreciate your help.

MikeEtterWSB_1-1720734410526.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RyanUthoff
Regular Contributor

The expression you’re using is the exact same as the expression used in this blog post (number 6). https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/monitor/administration/arcgis-monitor-analysis-elements-fo...

However, it appears that that expression calculates users who are active in the past 30 days. The “users_total:active” retrieves the number of users who have signed into portal within the past 30 days according to the blog post.

The 30 minutes in the expression is referring to when it last retrieved the statistic of getting the numbers of active users from the past 30 days. Not the number of active users from the past 30 minutes.

I’m not aware of any functionality that displays the number of online users (or if they’ve logged in the last X min, hours, days, etc.). But I would love to see that as a capability!

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @MikeEtterWSB,

Just to add onto Ryan's post which is correct.

The “users_total:active” metric queries for the total number of unique logins to Enterprise portal in the last 30 days.

The '30 minutes' portion in the data expression refers to the sampling of collected data in ArcGIS Monitor.

What you're looking to do is not currently possible in ArcGIS Monitor 2023.3.1.

However, in ArcGIS Monitor 2024.0 you will be able to query the “users_total:active” metric for the last day, last week, or last year. 

Hope this helps,

MikeEtterWSB
New Contributor II

Thanks @DerekLaw and @RyanUthoff. I misunderstood what the “users_total:active” metric is representing. Is there a data dictionary where I could look up metrics in the future?

Do we have a release date for ArcGIS Monitor 2024.0?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @MikeEtterWSB,

Is there a data dictionary where I could look up metrics in the future?

Yes, we document all the metrics in the ArcGIS Monitor help. For example, for Enterprise portals

Do we have a release date for ArcGIS Monitor 2024.0?

Monitor 2024.0 is scheduled for release in mid-Aug timeframe. The release date for end of July slipped and everyone is busy with the Esri UC this week. 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos