Select to view content in your preferred language

Email connection repeatedly disconnects

07-24-2023 12:58 PM
ChrisTaylor2
Regular Contributor

Hello,

When I first configured ArcGIS Monitor 2023 I was able to successfully configure the email settings for notifications after a few unsuccessful attempts. However, since then I've noticed on several occasions (probably 4 or 5 in the past couple of months) the email notifications abruptly stop, and when I go into the Email Connection Settings I see two things:

1. The 'Connected' status says 'Disconnected', and

2. A username has been inserted into the 'Sender Name'

Nobody else has access to Monitor besides me, and I'm not doing anything to add the user name in - it often happens in the middle of the night. As soon as I edit the connection settings, remove the username, then save, it switches back to a 'Connected' state again and the email notifications resume.

Based on the username it seems like it's 'remembering' a value I had tried during one or more of my previously unsuccessful attempts when I was first configuring the email settings.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GeoJosh
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chris, do you see any corresponding log entries in ArcGIS Monitor having to do with the e-mail configuration?

Josh

0 Kudos
ChrisTaylor2
Regular Contributor

Hi Josh and thanks for the tip on checking the logs - that's something I haven't had to do yet with this version of Monitor so it was a good learning experience.

Overall I'm seeing a few different types of warnings.

These two only occurred on the days where I was first trying to configure the email settings in May:

Code: ESOCKET

Message: Mail server could not connect: Client network socket disconnected before secure TLS connection was established

Code: EAUTH

Message: Mail server could not connect: Invalid login: 535 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful.

I did notice a pattern during the stoppages, however. I would get this warning four times:

Code: EAUTH

Message: Mail server could not connect: Invalid login: 504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type

Then these warnings would follow until I corrected things as I described above:

Code: E_MAIL_DELIVERY

Details: ["Mail command failed: 530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated"]

What's interesting is three different times those four EAUTH warnings occurred at 4:59am - 05/27/23, 06/24/23 and 07.22.23. There are exactly 28 days in between each occurrence. There were a few other instances of that same warning at times of the day other than 04:59, but that could have correlated to actions I was taking to resolve the issue which didn't work.

Thanks again!

Chris

0 Kudos