Select to view content in your preferred language

World Port Index Twenty Fifth Edition Web Map on Living Atlas

06-28-2018 11:48 PM
SimonKettle
Frequent Contributor
4 7 2,773

Web Map of the World Port Index Twenty Fifth Edition is now on Living Atlas.

The Twenty-Fifth Edition of Pub 150, World Port Index gives the location, characteristics, known facilities, and available services of a ports, shipping facilities and oil terminals throughout the world.

The World Ports Index Web Map includes enriched information combining the information found throughout all the released information from the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency. Created and shared from ArcGIS Pro and through the use of Attribute Domains the feature attribution is readable and hopefully useful to your mapping.
Layers within the web map include ports by their physical type (e.g. Natural Coastal, River Basin etc), maximum size of vessel and ports that include an oil terminal.
Have a look to explore the ports of the world!

7 Comments
GuyNoll
Esri Contributor

Simon, will you publish a version that doesn't require signing into your portal?

Regards,

Guy

DawnWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Direct and public access appears to be available via Living Atlas of the World | ArcGIS 

SimonKettle
Frequent Contributor

Sorry about that Guy. I have updated the link to take you direct to the public web map:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=dd8823d9502e48c89058fc8f2c4e96ba 

Also, as Dawn pointed out it is available on the Living Atlas of the World

GuyNoll
Esri Contributor

Thanks, Simon!

Sidebar question - would you find it useful to have cartographic symbols for commercial-style vessels and working waterfronts?  For example, should we have separate transportation category symbols for freighters, container ships, tankers, bulkers, RO/RO, and tugs?  And, should we consider cranes, drydocks, etc. as symbols to augment the imagery and charting symbology? 

Guy

SimonKettle
Frequent Contributor

HI Guy,

Yes I think cartographic symbols as described would be really useful to have especially as it would then be possible to have one feature layer showing ports with separate transportation categories (using "transportation symbols", rather than several layers all showing a different transport category.

I do think that symbols for all the categories and available facilities in the World Port Index would be amazing to see - I think it would make the database much easier to navigate as there is quite a lot of information in the index.

Cheers,

Simon

ChristinaMcCullough2
Occasional Contributor

Is there a metadata repository for the layer.  I am trying to figure out what the fields mean; LIFT_100_, PRACTIQUE, etc.  The included link only describes part of the data layer fields.  https://msi.geo.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/StaticFiles/NAV_PUBS/WPI/Pub150bk.pdf 

SimonKettle
Frequent Contributor

There isn't a metadata repository as such however, most of the terminology is found on the WPI PDF and Access database which can be downloaded from the above link.

1. LIFT is the Crane/Lift attribute which has been divided into 100+ tons, 50-100 toms, 25-49 toms, 0-24 tons etc...
  2. Pratique Quarantine is a maritime term used for a license given to a ship to enter port on assurance from the captain to convince the authorities that she is free from contagious disease.

If you do build a metadata listing please do share it!

About the Author
Geologist, Geospatial Expert and TAP Certified GIS Trainer working as an Independant Consultant. I have special interests in Geology, Exploration, Coordinate Reference Systems, Geodesy and Natural Science.