Select to view content in your preferred language

Overview of what we are building

10-08-2022 05:35 AM
AydinUluc
New Contributor II

Hi,

First of all thank you for your help and I thought maybe good to share a video and hear your thoughts. We have been building a non-code digital twin platform for almost 2 years where we can add open data, gis data, connect to IoT devices, BIM data etc as layers in our 2D part of our solution using MQTT and API framework. For the 3d part we switched over to Unreal + ArcGIS and we have/had some ups and downs because of some, we believe, missing features and seeing where they went with the Unity version I believe we will have the same features too:-). 

In short:

1) We create a project in our 2D platform (working in the browser) and the 3d part gets created automatically in 3D (Using Unreal and ArcGIS)

2) Import and connect all your data (both embedding and link to the source). You do this in both the browser as well in the 3D part using Datasmith plugin where we can import fbx, USD, glTF, PointCloud (.las, .laz, .e57, etc)

3) Connect your live IoT sensors, BIM, GIS, Business Data, etc

4) Analyze (AI)

5) Visualize (3D, VR, Virtual Boardroom) your data in 3D with dynamic weather system (connected to OpenWeatherAPI), 3D Library, import custom 3D content and much more.

Let me know if you have any questions or want to know more. 

Aydin

PS. we had to scale the room to make sure we can cover the area of interest on the tabletop. ArcGIS in Unreal doesn't support scaling the content). Having this approach brings also some complications sadly. @Matt_Nelson  suggested something in one of our posts and don't know if we did this correctly:)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Matt_Nelson
Esri Contributor

Looks like a sweet application. Congrats on making it this far! 🙂

What are the complications brought about by scaling up the all the other content?

0 Kudos
AydinUluc
New Contributor II

Hi @Matt_Nelson 

Thank you and also thanks for your help as always:).

We wanted to display ArcGIS map actor as a part of the environment, so we had to scale up our surrounding environment and have the following issues:

1. every part of the environment has to be scaled up
  2. the player movement has to be scaled too
  3. VR movement interaction components, laser, teleport and other staff has to be changed too
  4. We use point clouds and scaling point clouds is not something you want to do:-)

Maybe we approached the wrong way but I remember you mentioning that it was not possible to scale the content. 

0 Kudos
Matt_Nelson
Esri Contributor

Yea that makes sense. Sorry but I think that is an unfortunate reality of our SDK at the moment and we know it is annoying. This problem is on our radar. I am hoping we fix it in time for the next release, but it is likely it won't make it till our 1.2 release. 

On the plus side it sounds like you solved the problems you were encountering. 

Please let me know if you encounter any blockers to moving forward with this solution.

0 Kudos
at_teof
New Contributor II

Hi @AydinUluc , just curious how were you able to connect your IoT sensors and APIs in your environment. thanks! 🙂

0 Kudos
AydinUluc
New Contributor II

Hi @at_teof 

REST-API and MQTT

0 Kudos