Select to view content in your preferred language

How to control Unreal Engine MeshLayer rendering cashing/LOD/Quality settings?

Jump to solution
08-24-2023 03:19 AM
SurikatosDesign
New Contributor

Hi, I working on a project, trying to create a PC VR app - Virtual City Googles, The app will let users look around virtual city sites, I managed to load ArcGIS integrated mesh layer with the city model, and it's loading, and works, but I see that SDK is not caching all model parts and LOD parameters is low(far objects geometry is displayed less detailed than objects in front of the camera(assuming this is LOD)), so is there any way to control this with blueprints or c++?  

Adding video explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsVTXduN6n8 

My questions:

1. Is it possible to force Unreal Engine to load the mesh in a high level of detail? (Do not use object-to-camera distance, all in high detail).
  2. Is it possible to cache permanently(while the App is running) the whole layer and not load-unload parts each time the camera rotates?

My hardware: nVidia RTX3080, Ryzen 9 5950x and 32GB RAM, WIN10, UE5.1

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

'Virtual City Googles' sounds like a great project! The current loading pattern tries to achieve a balance across a range of device types, but if you have higher spec hardware then you will be able to load more data (greater resolution). 

To start, try experimenting with the Quality Scaling Factor on the Camera | ArcGIS Maps SDK for Unreal Engine | ArcGIS Developers.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MichaelBranscomb

Hi,

'Virtual City Googles' sounds like a great project! The current loading pattern tries to achieve a balance across a range of device types, but if you have higher spec hardware then you will be able to load more data (greater resolution). 

To start, try experimenting with the Quality Scaling Factor on the Camera | ArcGIS Maps SDK for Unreal Engine | ArcGIS Developers.

SurikatosDesign
New Contributor

Thank you, Michael, that worked, but Unreal Engine 5.1 is unstable with a higher Uality Scaling Factor. 

0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb

Using a higher Quality Scaling Factor will use more resources, particularly memory. 

• Have you tried updating to Unreal Engine 5.2, perhaps this offers greater stability? 
  • Are you using the latest version of ArcGIS Maps SDK for Unreal Engine, 1.3?
0 Kudos