GeoJSON Layer Property is an Object

Jump to solution
01-18-2023 09:42 AM
JulianDurantini
New Contributor II

I am trying to make a GeoJSON Layer from a source I do not control. Everything works fine, but my one difficulty is that I have a property in the GeoJSON (example below) that is actually an Object, not a string/number, etc.

I am hoping to add fields from the 'core_details' property below into the GeoJSON layer, and into the popup template. Is this possible? Or does the GeoJSON need to be edited to split this object into individual properties? I am providing this layer a list of Fields to make this functionality work. 

JulianDurantini_1-1674063684262.png

Thanks! 

Spoiler
{
            "id""2105CAA6-951D-437C-AA6B-51CF4FB5F8DC",
            "type""Feature",
            "geometry": {
                "type""Point",
                "coordinates": [
                ]
            },
            "properties": {
                "core_details": {
                    "device_type""arrow-board",
                    "data_source_id""67899A97-0F3E-4683-B169-75C09C3B8F67",
                    "device_status""ok",
                    "update_date""2023-01-18T17:11:50Z",
                    "has_automatic_location"true,
                    "name""464",
                    "description""Arrow Panel, Display Down",
                    "serial_number""0xd0016e"
                },
                "pattern""blank",
                "is_in_transport_position"false,
                "custom": {
                    "isPublic"false,
                    "start_date""2022-10-04T00:59:31",
                    "location_details": {
                        "first_date""2023-01-18T07:38:00",
                        "update_date""2023-01-18T17:11:00"
                    }
                }
            }
        },

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
UndralBatsukh
Esri Regular Contributor

@JoelBennett is absolutely right. The code snippet he provided will work. I am adding perhaps the obvious point here. You need to set the fields in the GeoJSONLayer constructor and for the object properties you need to set the field type as blob and the code Joel will work. Here is a very simple test app that uses the geojson you provided and the code Joel provided. 

https://codepen.io/U_B_U/pen/oNMozyJ?editors=0010

View solution in original post

UndralBatsukh
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi there, 

So it looks like blob field is not working with Labels. Likely will not work in different places. You need to intercept the geojson data after it is fetched and then set up the data in a way where you are not creating object fields... I updated the codepen to showcase this and you will need to modify to meet your needs. 

In this codepen, I set the fields schema in the geojson layer constructor.  The geojson data is intercepted after it is fetched. Then the app loops through the geojson features,  directly store the object properties at the feature.properties level then delete the object properties.

Hope this helps.

-Undral

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JoelBennett
MVP Regular Contributor

In this case, you may have to use a function to define your PopupTemplate content.  If you did, it might look something like this:

function getPopupContent(feature) {
	return "<table><tr><td>Pattern:</td><td>" + feature.graphic.attributes.pattern + "</td></tr>" + 
		"<tr><td>In Transport Position?</td><td>" + feature.graphic.attributes.is_in_transport_position + "</td></tr>" + 
		"<tr><td>Device Type:</td><td>" + feature.graphic.attributes.core_details.device_type + "</td></tr></table>";
}

var popupTemplate = new PopupTemplate({
	title: "My Title",
	content: getPopupContent
});

var layer = new GeoJSONLayer({
	url: myURL,
	popupTemplate: popupTemplate
});
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor

This would be correct. Popups don't support object fields out of the box.

0 Kudos
UndralBatsukh
Esri Regular Contributor

@JoelBennett is absolutely right. The code snippet he provided will work. I am adding perhaps the obvious point here. You need to set the fields in the GeoJSONLayer constructor and for the object properties you need to set the field type as blob and the code Joel will work. Here is a very simple test app that uses the geojson you provided and the code Joel provided. 

JulianDurantini
New Contributor II

Thank you @UndralBatsukh and @JoelBennett so much! My issue was that I needed the 'type' property of my Field to be a blob. I'm glad you took the time to add the obvious! 

0 Kudos
JulianDurantini
New Contributor II

All, 

Sorry to revive a resolved topic I posted - I am happy to make another post if needed. The next step in the process for me here is to get the labelingInfo working properly. As you can see in the linked code pen example (extends off the solution), I am unable to get the core_details (or hopefully, core_details.device_type) to display. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

https://codepen.io/AIM_Atlas/pen/QWBQdLa?editors=0010

0 Kudos
UndralBatsukh
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi there, 

So it looks like blob field is not working with Labels. Likely will not work in different places. You need to intercept the geojson data after it is fetched and then set up the data in a way where you are not creating object fields... I updated the codepen to showcase this and you will need to modify to meet your needs. 

In this codepen, I set the fields schema in the geojson layer constructor.  The geojson data is intercepted after it is fetched. Then the app loops through the geojson features,  directly store the object properties at the feature.properties level then delete the object properties.

Hope this helps.

-Undral

JulianDurantini
New Contributor II

Thank you again! You are brilliant. 

0 Kudos