Publish to Web in Power BI

Jump to solution
01-19-2021 12:50 PM
jbintn
by
New Contributor II

Regarding Power BI publish to Web and Power BI Embedded, the documentation here (in the Limitations section, Power BI publish to Web and Power BI Embedded) says, "Yes, for designers signed in to a valid ArcGIS account." The link to the account types page lists the two types of accounts, standard and ArcGIS. My reading between the lines makes me think you must use an ArcGIS account and not a standard account (which I think doesn't even require signing in?) to have the ability to use the Publish to Web and Power BI Embedded functionality. I have some questions:

1. Can someone confirm it requires an ArcGIS account and not a standard account? And does the ArcGIS account have to be an organizational account?
  2. Can someone explain why this worked until mid-December (my reports embedded in Dynamics worked until December) and now don't? Is it because of the accounts?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello there,

This is a great question, and one that I can hopefully answer. Publish to web has been a bit of a challenge for ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI. Up until January, there were some scenarios that seemed to have worked (i.e. publishing to SharePoint Online) albeit a bit unstable. As of the January release of ArcGIS for PowerBI, we have officially begun to support Publishing to Web. However, it did bring in a new set of requirements:

• You must be signed in to a valid ArcGIS account with the appropriate user type.
  • To create a map-enabled report in Power BI, you must be signed in to Power BI with a Pro or Premium account. Consumers do not need to be Power BI users to view published reports.
  • Power BI data used to create the ArcGIS for Power BI map must use latitude and longitude coordinates for locations. If the Location field well contains addresses or standard boundaries, publishing to the web will not work.
  • A published map can contain a maximum of 30,000 locations.
  • The map must not contain secure data. Maps with secure data cannot be published.
  • You must run the ArcGIS for Power BI publishing precheck before generating an embed code for the report.
  • Consumers cannot sign in to published reports.
  • You may notice that the PowerBI Add on license is not mentioned, due to its deprecation around the time of its release.

To answer your questions specifically:

1. Publishing to web requires an organizational ArcGIS Online Account (source
  2. Reports that worked in December may not meet the requirements above.

My suggestion to you is to log a support ticket requesting which functionality you are missing and request an enhancement be logged. The PowerBI team is very responsive to these requests, especially if they are tied to an idea in GeoNet.
Please let me know if I can assist you further!

Keep on keeping on!

View solution in original post

Tags (2)
6 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello there,

This is a great question, and one that I can hopefully answer. Publish to web has been a bit of a challenge for ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI. Up until January, there were some scenarios that seemed to have worked (i.e. publishing to SharePoint Online) albeit a bit unstable. As of the January release of ArcGIS for PowerBI, we have officially begun to support Publishing to Web. However, it did bring in a new set of requirements:

• You must be signed in to a valid ArcGIS account with the appropriate user type.
  • To create a map-enabled report in Power BI, you must be signed in to Power BI with a Pro or Premium account. Consumers do not need to be Power BI users to view published reports.
  • Power BI data used to create the ArcGIS for Power BI map must use latitude and longitude coordinates for locations. If the Location field well contains addresses or standard boundaries, publishing to the web will not work.
  • A published map can contain a maximum of 30,000 locations.
  • The map must not contain secure data. Maps with secure data cannot be published.
  • You must run the ArcGIS for Power BI publishing precheck before generating an embed code for the report.
  • Consumers cannot sign in to published reports.
  • You may notice that the PowerBI Add on license is not mentioned, due to its deprecation around the time of its release.

To answer your questions specifically:

1. Publishing to web requires an organizational ArcGIS Online Account (source
  2. Reports that worked in December may not meet the requirements above.

My suggestion to you is to log a support ticket requesting which functionality you are missing and request an enhancement be logged. The PowerBI team is very responsive to these requests, especially if they are tied to an idea in GeoNet.
Please let me know if I can assist you further!

Keep on keeping on!
Tags (2)
jbintn
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the follow up, @JonEmch. I saw the page about the account types but still wasn't sure if it required the organizational account. Related question: does a "Standard" account require signing in, or is the standard account considered the default type when connecting from Power BI, and that's the account type you have if you don't sign in? Or is a Standard account a non-organizational account?

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Anytime! Glad I could help.

Standard accounts is a bit of a misnomer: its the base functionality of ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI. You don't need to sign in at all to use standard features. 

In my testing, non-organizational accounts are flat not supported in ArcGIS for PowerBI.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
jbintn
by
New Contributor II

Can you point me to where to read up on what licenses would be needed to create and publish the report and whether we need licenses for each person who might view the report? Reading this, it sounds like we definitely need the Creator license and possibly viewer for those who view the report. This ("Content included with Power BI") makes it sound like the content is available to all users, so we might not need a viewer license for every Power BI user.

As with most licensing, it's clear as mud. 🙂

And again, many thanks.

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Understandable, especially with the rapidly changing licensing model it can be hard to keep track (present company included!)

I found this document that seems to address what you are asking: ArcGIS requirements

Essentially:

Report designers: Creator-level user type or higher in ArcGIS
Report consumers: Viewer-level user type or higher in ArcGIS

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you're still stuck on licensing, give me a shout... its not too bad.

Standard is all the free functionality

ArcGIS Identity (Creator+) is needed to design reports and share with Embed or Publish to Web.

Viewers depend on your data... if its secured, they need an account. If not, they don't. 

0 Kudos