Power BI - cannot 'Connect to ArcGIS' since 18th March

Jump to solution
03-22-2022 11:02 AM
SusannaSaari
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I successfully setup a Power BI desktop project with multiple pages linking to AGOL. Then suddenly on the 18th of March (should the date be meaningful) the existing project started displaying a blank sheet with a notification ' Access to this content requires permission. Sing in below, or contact the content's owner for access. Learn more. Connect to ArcGIS' - clicking on the 'Connect to ArcGIS' does not bring up the login prompt (nor does it cause any other action).

If I start a new page within the project and try to access ArcGIS  Maps for Power BI  I'm prompted to sign in to ArcGIS Online, however the 'Sign in' button does not bring in the login fields either. You can only add Excel data, which will show up against an Esri basemap - that's all.

Starting a new Power BI project has the exact same issue - only excel data can be shown with an Esri basemap - the connect to buttons do NOT bring up login fields.

I've emptied the 3 different caches in the Power BI Options (Data, Q&A and Folded Artifacts) - but this has no effect on the situation.

I've attached a diagnostic file from Power BI desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@SusannaSaari  - 

Hello there! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual. I was looking over this issue and I would like to help out if I can!

There have been reports of some sign-in issues within the visual both in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Online. We have identified and fixed an issue related to expired/cached tokens within the visual. This fix will be pushed out with our April 2022 release of ArcGIS for Power BI. 

However, as a quick test (and hopefully fix), we can clear the cache of your Power BI Desktop application to clear out any and all old tokens that are persisted. Give the following steps a try and let me know if this helps! 

As a general note, you might have all or only a few of the folders listed below. Please check both locations and remove all folders listed in these steps. 

1. On your local system, depending on how you installed Power BI, browse to one of the following folder locations:
    • .exe version— %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop (for example, <user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop)
    • Microsoft Store version— C:\Users\<user>\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App
  2. Delete the folder named CEF.
  3. Delete the folder named WebView2
  4. Delete the folder named Cache.
  5. Restart the machine.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@SusannaSaari  - 

Hello there! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual. I was looking over this issue and I would like to help out if I can!

There have been reports of some sign-in issues within the visual both in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Online. We have identified and fixed an issue related to expired/cached tokens within the visual. This fix will be pushed out with our April 2022 release of ArcGIS for Power BI. 

However, as a quick test (and hopefully fix), we can clear the cache of your Power BI Desktop application to clear out any and all old tokens that are persisted. Give the following steps a try and let me know if this helps! 

As a general note, you might have all or only a few of the folders listed below. Please check both locations and remove all folders listed in these steps. 

1. On your local system, depending on how you installed Power BI, browse to one of the following folder locations:
    • .exe version— %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop (for example, <user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop)
    • Microsoft Store version— C:\Users\<user>\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App
  2. Delete the folder named CEF.
  3. Delete the folder named WebView2
  4. Delete the folder named Cache.
  5. Restart the machine.
SusannaSaari
New Contributor II

Thank you - this has worked at least for the Store App on my laptop!

Curiously, no 'CEF' folder within the C:\Users\<user>\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App - location? However, deleting the WebView2 and Cache folder has fixed the issue - the 'Connect to ArcGIS' button on PBI now brings up a login window and entering the login details brings the visuals back.