Map data in Power BI using custom polygon layer

09-26-2019 04:26 AM
JanBurdziej
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Is it possible to use a custom polygon layer (e.g. from AGOL) to map data in Power BI, i.e. create a choropleth map? I have a health zone polygon layer on AGOL and an Excel file with some statistics for each health zone. Both datasets can be joined using Health Zone ID.

Is it possible to map these statistics using ArcGIS Maps for Power BI? I know I can map data by lat/lon or by location name (country, address, city etc), but what about mapping Power BI data using custom reference polygons? Can I use the Reference Layer to achieve this?

Best regards,

Jan

PS. Just noticed that a very similar question has been asked (but not answered) here: https://community.esri.com/thread/239929-add-custom-location-feature-class-for-arcgis-for-powerbi?ru...

5 Replies
StevenDoherty
New Contributor III

Hi Jan,
Yes, is the answer (supposedly) but, since the beginning of the year, there have been numerous known issues between AGOL and Power BI that haven't been resolved and now, most of the community has gone over to MapBox, which handles this sought of common Power BI application nicely.

If you do find a solution, please post back here.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jan,

I have the exact same question, did you find a way to use custom polygon layer from AGOL into Power BI? 

Thanks,
Gisela

0 Kudos
JanBurdziej
New Contributor III

Hi Gisela,

Unfortunately I think this is still not possible in Power BI. For the moment I'm using Custom Shape Map visual with boundaries uploaded in TopoJSON format. However, I spoke with Esri and apparently there will be some new functionality available in 20.4 release planned for Nov 2020. Worth checking.

Best,

Jan

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'll keep an eye then and test when they make this option available. In the meantime, I'll try with the Custom Shape Map visual too.

Best,
Gisela

0 Kudos
ThibeautFormesyn
New Contributor

Hi, is there any update on this problem? 

0 Kudos