How do you create a hosted feature layer for Power BI?

Jump to solution
09-03-2018 08:10 PM
StevenDoherty
New Contributor III

I have tried everything suggested by the tutorials. I have Shapefiles created by myself and 3rd party agencies, I've uploaded CSV, GEOJson, Json files and not one has prompted for this hosted feature layer checkbox that I'm supposed to click on to make it available (and PS. when they upload without an error that is).

I am at my wit's end trying to work out how to make this layer available to my #Power BI maps.

15 Replies
StevenDoherty
New Contributor III

Sorry Josh, for taking so long to get back to you. I've recently upgraded my subscription and I'm working through some issues with that. I'll come back to you with further questions soon.

0 Kudos
StevenDoherty
New Contributor III

Hi Josh Jones‌,

I had some issues with the AGOL subscription which are now resolved. Of the issues indicated in the post, the only points outstanding are;

1. Point Labels not appearing in ArcGIS Feature Layers in Power BI which Anthony Latini‌ is aware of. and;

2. Feature Layers in Power BI are made public, which I hope you can help me with.

"The requirement to share your layer publicly is only the case if you do not have a private ArcGIS Online organization. As long as you're signed into your ArcGIS Online account in Maps for Power BI, your layers can be privately shared within your organization. Layers must be shared publicly if you aren't signed in since there is otherwise no way to reach those layers."

Are there instructions on how to restrict the hosted reference layers created for the organisation in ArcGIS for Power BI?

0 Kudos
JoshJones2
New Contributor III

Hey Steven -

Not sure I understand your question correctly - but I think you're asking "how do I set a feature layer so that it's not public."

In ArcGIS Online, you would need to set the permissions for the layer to only be accessible by specific users rather than having the service set to "Public". If you didn't set those permissions when you initially published up the feature layer, click "Share" in ArcGIS Online and change the sharing settings there (uncheck "Everyone (public)" and only share it with the group containing the user that you actually want to be able to see it). It looks like this:

Since this is going outside of Maps for Power BI stuff, I'd recommend that you engage with support as well so that they can help walk through some of this stuff (particularly setting sharing from your original source) - I'm happy to still help with the Power BI side of things though!

Josh

StevenDoherty
New Contributor III

Thanks Josh,

The part that I was missing or misunderstood was the requirement to sign in with your AGOL credentials in the ArcGIS/Power BI visual. It works as advertised, once you are signed in.

The picture below explains the different points for sign in.

Plus and AGOL sign in locations for Power BI ArcGIS visual 

0 Kudos
JoshJones2
New Contributor III

Thanks for the clarity! Were you originally trying to use the "Sign in" button to enter your ArcGIS Online credentials? If this was a point of confusion, that'd be good feedback for us as the product team so that we can consider ways to augment the sign in dialog and make it less confusing.

0 Kudos
StevenDoherty
New Contributor III

Yes, I was unaware that there were two levels of sign in.

0 Kudos