Select to view content in your preferred language

Connecting Power BI to ArcGIS Enterprise and Accessing Data for Visualizations?

4 weeks ago
JonJones1
Occasional Contributor

Hello everyone,

I'm not very familiar with ArcGIS Enterprise as we currently only use ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online. However, I have a couple of questions about Enterprise that I'm hoping to get some insights on.

Question 1: I know that Power BI can link to maps from ArcGIS Online for use in reports, but I'm wondering if the same integration is possible with maps hosted on ArcGIS Enterprise. Can anyone confirm if you can connect Power BI to maps in ArcGIS Enterprise?

Question 2: If it is possible to connect Power BI to maps in ArcGIS Enterprise, can I also access the data from a point layer used in those maps to create charts or tables within Power BI? I understand there might be some setup work involved to do this, but just wondering is this a reasonable/common use of Enterprise with Power BI? 

Currently, with ArcGIS Online, I can only display maps in Power BI, but not connect directly to the underlying data to create visualizations like pie charts or tables. At least I'm not aware of an easy way to link to a layer in ArcGIS Online directly within Power BI without perhaps using a more technical approach, possibly involving JSON. If there's a simpler method to pull data from an ArcGIS Online layer into Power BI for these purposes, I would appreciate any correction or guidance!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Q1: yes, you can use ArcGIS Enterprise.

Q2: yes, you can query a map/feature service in AGOL / Enterprise to return JSON. then you'll have to manipulate JSON in Power Query Editor.

Please note: never bring in complicated and huge amount of geometry (Esri JSON) in PBI, it can impact the performance of the report.

0 Kudos