ArcGIS for Power BI Updates - Reference Layers Not Loading

Jump to solution
09-24-2021 07:09 AM
RezaSardari
New Contributor II

Hello,

I published and hosted a feature layer on the ArcGIS Online organization account and the layer is visible on both the online Map viewer and also in the Power BI list of layers. 

Feature Layer in ArcGIS - Shared with public

RezaSardari_0-1632491779924.png

Power BI Add Layer:

RezaSardari_1-1632491939629.png

However, this layer is not loading in Power BI and nothing happens after adding this layer. I tried different projection systems, zoom in & zoom out, and checked the shared option with everyone. Still this layer is not loading and showing the yellow circle after adding it:  

RezaSardari_2-1632492069272.png

How to fix this issue? Is it because of recent Esri updates? Is there any way to download GIS for Power BI in a separate file? 

Thanks,

Reza Sardari, GISP 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

That is correct. We should know more in the next 2 days if they can still get it out for the 29th or if it will delay to October 6th. 

I had a look at this layer in our current version, v1.0.0.110 (the visual that is currently in Power BI Online and Power BI Desktop) and it looks like this is a bug in this particular version. Unfortunately, there wouldn't be a workaround in this version. However, the new version has resolved this bug it seems!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@RezaSardari - Hello there! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual. I was looking over this issue and I would like to help out if I can!

I did a quick search for the item you listed in your post (FLU WGS84) and was able to find it in the public listing. I tested this in our latest version (which should be out in the next week or so) and it appears to load properly. 

Let me know if this helps! If there is another map that you'd want me to check, send the mapID here and I can load it up to see if it adds properly. 

AnthonyLatini_0-1632493298825.png

0 Kudos
RezaSardari
New Contributor II

Anthony, Appreciate your quick turnaround. That means it is related to the current version, and we need to wait? What is the timeline? We have a public outreach and appreciate it if there is a solution to fix it from our end? 

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

That is correct. We should know more in the next 2 days if they can still get it out for the 29th or if it will delay to October 6th. 

I had a look at this layer in our current version, v1.0.0.110 (the visual that is currently in Power BI Online and Power BI Desktop) and it looks like this is a bug in this particular version. Unfortunately, there wouldn't be a workaround in this version. However, the new version has resolved this bug it seems!

Rudolfde_Munnik
Esri Contributor

Hi Anthony, has there been any progress on deployment of the updated version of ArcGIS for Power BI visualizer to fix the bug when saving of reference layers. My version of Power BI Desktop is: Version: 2.99.862.0 64-bit (November 2021). How do i check the ArcGIS for Power BI version?

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@Rudolfde_Munnik - Hi there! Our newest release should be out and live within the next 48 hours. The live date is December 8th 2021, but it takes a bit to roll out to everyone who uses Power BI. The newest version of our visual is 2021.2.95. When you hover over the Esri logo in the map, you will be able to see that version number. 

Let me know what happens when you see the new version. 

AnthonyLatini_0-1638902790346.png

Rudolfde_Munnik
Esri Contributor

Hi Anthony, thank you for the feedback - we will be monitoring the version. Will you be posting a new blog to indicate the "What's New" in version 2021.2.95 or is there another source? I am specifically interested in the "Advanced data formats using Shape fields" or other means to bring in custom spatial layers. Thank you.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Rudolfde_Munnik 

The release is pure quality and targets many key issues reported by the community. There are no new features to report in 2021.2.95

We do have some customers that configure a REST request/query and leverage Power Query to format the data with geometry into something our visual can read in Power BI. It's a bit of work but doable. 

Next week on December 16th, we'll release an ArcGIS connector for Power Automate that will simply the process of bringing feature layers into Power BI for reporting. While we are excited to provide this to our customers, there are limits in Power BI such as size of data and characters per field that would not allow for some workflows. Eg. don't try to load a bunch of parcels into Power BI, its just not designed for that. 

We look forward to getting the connector out and will be posting in the Esri Community and ArcGIS blog on what you can do with it. It is not an official product yet, so documentation will be in Microsoft's site and through the Esri Community. 

Rudolfde_Munnik
Esri Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User, @AnthonyLatini ,

Thank you for the feedback and continues support. The version 2021.2.95 is now updated on my Power BI Desktop. I am now able to open previously saved reference layers. I am assisting a consultant of a local authority who need to sign-off on a Power BI integration project deliverable. Just in time. Thanks

Looking forward to the Power Automate connector, it is going to make a big difference.

Thank you

Rudolf