Access Secure Content in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9

10-26-2021 02:38 AM
cle444
by
Occasional Contributor

Our BI team has recently started trialling the ArcGIS for PowerBI to provide a geospatial view and context around their data. There are some feedbacks from them I would like to pass on to our community. It would be much appreciated if the experts could guide us thru the start of the journey.

Background

• PowerBI Desktop to author and publish to PowerBI Service
  • ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9 supports both built-in users and Azure AD SAML2 logins. We have a named user of creator type dedicated for PBI use.
  • Join layers are all secure contents.
  • Portal security user login expires in 10 hours.
  • The BI team want to produce the Power BI dashboards 24/7 in the office.

Issue 1:
Unlike app credentials that we can automatically generate and refresh tokens from a server component, for Power BI, we used a named user to run the ArcGIS for Power BI component. It logs out after 10 hours and needs to log back in manually. The GIS team won't change the security policy to make any data publicly available. What is the best practice around the authentication pattern for this use case?

cle444_0-1635240254589.png

Issue 2:
"Can create a join, and it worked initially but now doesn't seem to be connecting (when I click in the table, it doesn't update the map selection and vice-versa)".

Issue 3:
"Keep getting the spinning circle once I create a join (it doesn't seem to stop me doing other tasks but not sure why it continues spinning)."

cle444_1-1635240406254.png

Above are the issues reported by our BI team. It would be great to get some input from experts here.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cle444
by
Occasional Contributor

Anyone can comment on the auto log in mechanism for secure ArcGIS Enterprise contents used by Power BI?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello!

Issue 1 could potentially also be resolved by switching to SAML based authentication with your ArcGIS Enterprise.

Issue 2 this might be a bug that we have resolved in the next release, that we are handing off to Microsoft today. I'll double check and confirm.

Issue 3 this is a bug and will have to test for a fix and confirm. 

I'd love to know more about your workflows, to see if there's something else we might be able to do in place of joins or to see if we need to expand our functionality on the join feature. Please let me know if you have time to talk or direct message about this.

Thank you,

Andrew

cle444
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Andrew. I will be in touch when I can sit with our BI team to go thru their workflow in more detail. Currently, the product gives them issues that hold them back from trialling it further. Appreciate your response.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sounds good... when you sit down to work with them, feel free to give me a shout and we'll make sure things are moving along!

Cheers,

Andrew

0 Kudos