Copy/paste multiple attribute values?

Jump to solution
06-27-2018 08:36 AM
PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

Is there any way to copy and paste multiple attributes at once (eg. an entire row), using either the attribute table or feature attributes dialog?

Additionally, is there any future enhancement planned to allow more interaction between the map and the attribute table? For example, I notice that if I select features in the map and then open the attribute table, those features are not selected in the table. It would also be great to be able to keep the table open while interacting with the map.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

Piper,

You can select multiple features and then using the Attribute Dialog each value you enter will be assigned to each selected feature.

If you copy the actual features the attributes are copied along…

You could also build with AutoLISP… I created a set of bonus tools including the command ForEachFeature, which will allow you to do something to all the selected features. Also Esri_CalculateField which will allow you to calculate a field for all the selected features in a feature class. (Search ArcGIS.com for “bonus tools”)

But those aren’t what you asked. There is no way to cut-n-paste within the grid. You can copy things out… like to a spreadsheet, but not modify.

And yes it would be better if the selection sets in the table and drawing were linked. You can select things in the table and upon exit you can right-click and select the features using the table, but again I know, not what you’re asking.

-Don

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

Piper,

You can select multiple features and then using the Attribute Dialog each value you enter will be assigned to each selected feature.

If you copy the actual features the attributes are copied along…

You could also build with AutoLISP… I created a set of bonus tools including the command ForEachFeature, which will allow you to do something to all the selected features. Also Esri_CalculateField which will allow you to calculate a field for all the selected features in a feature class. (Search ArcGIS.com for “bonus tools”)

But those aren’t what you asked. There is no way to cut-n-paste within the grid. You can copy things out… like to a spreadsheet, but not modify.

And yes it would be better if the selection sets in the table and drawing were linked. You can select things in the table and upon exit you can right-click and select the features using the table, but again I know, not what you’re asking.

-Don

0 Kudos
PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

Thank you Don for the response. We're moving our GIS to ESRI from an existing SQL Spatial based setup and just want to make it as painless as possible for our CAD users. We will definitely explore the commands in the bonus tools. I think the ability to Field calculate and also to use ESRI domains will get us a long way. Copy/Paste of rows would be an awesome enhancement though  

0 Kudos