Using block definition with a point feature service

12-09-2015 12:43 PM
RandallClark2
Occasional Contributor II

How do i apply a block definition to a point feature service that is being pulled in from our server?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

Randall,

If your drawing contains an AutoCAD block definition that is named the same as the feature service name it will draw feature coming from servers using that block instead of the default point entity. It would be the same syntax as the AutoCAD Layer name that the feature service is drawn upon. “ESRI_”

My set of bonus AutoLISP routines for ArcGIS for AutoCAD also have a set of tools for working with blocks and POINT feature classes.

YouTube Demo of bonus tools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N78JvafA2-Q&list=PLHTg8zWG0OunfoXfgWWSTvU0UTCFs6ebl&index=3

Free Bonus Tools on ArcGIS Online

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=103f4d42de804f4ab42ff498026d9ddc

-Don

RandallClark2

Hi Don,

So that helped, define the block definition to have the same name as the feature service but now when bring the feature service in, the location is screwy well beyond screwy its not longer correct.

Is there some in setting up the block definition that i am missing?

DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

It could be that the “insertion point” of the block is not in the reasonable location for the symbol?

0 Kudos
RandallClark2

Hi Don,

Yeah that seems to be the case and my lack of cad knowledge limits me in creating a new block definitions so i figured out that i can just go back and edit exsisting ones.

and it woks.

0 Kudos
AndrewNiederhauser1
New Contributor III

Don, 

Are there any limitations or issues with GIS service layer naming conventions with CAD block styles? 

I ask because I have been doing some testing and seem to be encountering an issue where if the GIS service layer contains a space the CAD block style isn't shown. If the GIS service layer does not contain a space, the CAD block style seems to work as expected. For example,, Water Hydrant for a GIS service layer name doesn't seem to be working vs. Hydrant for a GIS service layer name does work. 

Thanks, 

Andrew

0 Kudos