Why does Field Maps make me tap on the feature type I want to add when using a URL call

Jump to solution
12-15-2021 02:11 PM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I sear I posted this before but I cannot find it.  

I am using a URL link to add a feature from 123.

https://fieldmaps.arcgis.app?itemID=299774d89f4f4da880bee595d5493ac9&referenceContext=addFeature&featureSourceURL=https://services1.arcgis.com/Hp6G80Pky0om7QvQ/arcgis/rest/services/PFC2022BetaService/FeatureServer/3&featureAttributes=%7B%22LOCAL_ID%22:%22${LOCAL_ID}%22,%22FormID%22:%22${FormID}%22%7D&callback=https://survey123.arcgis.app  

Part of this URL tells Field Maps which type of feature I want to add FeatureServer/3.  

For some reason Field Maps does narrow down the list but still makes me tap on the one option in the list.  

Field Maps asking which layer.gif

Can this extra step be removed?  Why does it not just go right to the edit box?  Is my URL correct?

If I do not add the/3 part it says feature type not found.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

I understand the repetitive nature if your layer has a single feature template. If layer 3 has multiple feature templates - say its symbolized based on a "category" field with 3 different types - you would need to be prompted to select a template before entering the editing process. This way we follow a consistent flow whether there are multiple templates or a single template. 

I know you are aware of this but just to clarify for you and potentially others: if you don't specify a layer in the URL (no featureSourceURL parameter; just addFeature) then we display all templates for all layers in the map specified. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey @DougBrowning ,

Your URL is correct; this is the expected behavior. The reasoning is that this will help give the user context as to what is happening when the app is opened and also to remain consistent with the behavior experienced when the layer has multiple templates and this option must be presented. I think there are pros/and cons for each method. Happy to hear if you have any other feedback or reasoning based on your workflows. Thanks!

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I guess for me it seems like answering the same question twice.  I told the URL I want layer 3 so just gimmie :).  

Open to hear what others say.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

I understand the repetitive nature if your layer has a single feature template. If layer 3 has multiple feature templates - say its symbolized based on a "category" field with 3 different types - you would need to be prompted to select a template before entering the editing process. This way we follow a consistent flow whether there are multiple templates or a single template. 

I know you are aware of this but just to clarify for you and potentially others: if you don't specify a layer in the URL (no featureSourceURL parameter; just addFeature) then we display all templates for all layers in the map specified. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well that makes more sense now thanks.