What causes a Form and the '+" button to disappear?

Jump to solution
01-25-2021 07:41 PM
MikeSlattery
Occasional Contributor

I am not sure exactly why, but the Form I built is gone in the Field Maps configure pane for the layer, and so is the "plus" button in the Field Maps app.   This has happened before, but I am at a loss to pinpoint the before/after scenario.

I did update the popup in the beta map viewer, and I did add a field to the layer - but there is no indication of why the whole Form is gone as if I hadn't built one.

Once I added the new field to the feature item definitions for the layer, I could add/edit features in the web beta, but there is stlll no Plus button on the app.

To my knowledge no one used the layer in the non-beta map viewer.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MikeSlattery
Occasional Contributor

Hi @KevinBurke and fellow mappers:   close or reload the tab on a new beta web map after naming and saving!

Here is something reproducible for me in FF and Chrome.   Start a new beta web map, name and save it.   As long as you keep that same tab open without reloading, you will clobber the form in a new Field Maps instance for that map with every change to the beta map in that tab!    

Make a manual form, or convert, save and it will behave in iOS.   But make any change to that beta map in that open tab, including renderers, etc. and the FM form will get clobbered.   Close that tab and re-open the beta map in a new tab, or even reload that tab, and you can make changes to your FM form, and your beta web popup and the FM form will not get clobbered.

This works even if you create and keep open the beta web map in Firefox, and edit and save the new Field Maps instance in Chrome!   

That first open tab, as long as it is open and not reloaded, has different side effects for a map save than a new tab or the same tab if reloaded.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
fklotz
by
Occasional Contributor

Further research has shown that our issue seems to be related to the following:  Our maps were to be used in ArcGIS Field Maps only, we did not want the users to open them in Collector.  So we unchecked the 'Use in Collector' at the bottom of the settings section of the map details page.  When we do that, the "+" button disappears in ArcGIS Field Maps.  Re-checking the 'Use in Collector' causes the "+" button to reappear. 

I have a bug report in to ESRI with respect to this.

Current solution to get the "+" button to show:  Enable "Use in Collector" for your map.

Farley

View solution in original post

31 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

@MikeSlattery 

Thank you for sharing that information with us. 

I am not sure at this point if these two issues are related or not. In the absence of the smart form, you should still see the normal editable popup. The fact that you cannot edit, seems unrelated to the missing form, at least at this point.

Can you confirm that the layer loads successfully without errors in the Field Maps mobile app?

If possible, would you be able to share the web map/feature services with me to take a look on my end?

If so, please invite the user ArcGISFieldMaps into a group. 

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
MikeSlattery
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Kevin,

I have added that user to the group.

I have since rebuilt a smaller form.  (There were 89 fields before - the collapsing fieldgroups are very helpful to the user.) I can add and edit points in the map viewer beta using that form. The 'assets_and_tasks_beta' map loads in the mobile app and the points update when data changes.   But the layer is ReadOnly. The definition and checkboxes say otherwise, but there is that layerOverride array which includes 'capabilities' which I am giving the side-eye to right now.    I hope this is not RTM territory and I thank you for looking!

Group: '5539155f79d540988348b2064bdf6c0b'

Map: '82d3dcac9abd451fbb32dbeb20e9dc09'

Layer: 'edda2ce07ee346ee9a8c69927e16f4bd'

0 Kudos
MikeSlattery
Occasional Contributor

@KevinBurke - I am able to edit both sides of the Beta Map/Field Map pair in Firefox with a copy of the new map without the resetting issue, and everything behaves in the App so far.    This might point to a browser/caching issue in Chrome?

Version 88.0.4324.96 (Official Build) (x86_64) on OSX 10.15.7 Catalina

(Using Chrome for the FieldMaps and Beta Map pages, launching devtools to show network activity with cache disabled for each page used, seems to behave as well.) 

0 Kudos
BK710
by
New Contributor II

Kevin,

My FieldMaps app is also missing the "+" sign for initiating collection of new points. The app is loading fine elsewise. I have both use for Collector and Field Maps checked in the settings, and editing was enabled when publishing. This is my first time experiencing the missing + sign

0 Kudos
MikeSlattery
Occasional Contributor

Looks like you are right - the forms and the ReadOnly issue are separate.   This entry just follows up on the forms/fieldmaps info removals.   A fresh layer remained editable throughout.

Looks like any save on the Map in Beta Viewer removes the form from the Field Maps configuration for that map.    The Summary addition I made also disappeared which seems consistent.

I started fresh with a new layer and map.    I configured a popup in the Beta Map Viewer, saved and looked on the Field Maps App.  I could Add points there.   I then engaged Field Maps to create a form from that popup.   Then saved it.   I found that I forgot one field, so I added it to the form in Field Maps and saved it.    Then I went back to the Beta Map Viewer and added that field to the popup and saved.    I went back to the Field Maps front page and selected the new map.   The form was gone.

I could still add/edit in the Field Maps App.   I went back and re-created the form via popup in Field Maps, and that form was visible in the Field Maps App.  

I added more layers and changed basemap in the Beta Map Viewer and saved.   Going back in Field Maps from the map list to the map to the config, the form is gone again.

I still see the Add button in the Field Maps App, but the form is gone there too after restarting the app.

I updated the Summary for the map in Field Apps, but that went away as well.

Thanks again @KevinBurke and team for your attention.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @MikeSlattery 

Thank you for that detailed information. 

On the topic of the layer being editable vs read-only for the assets-and-tasks-beta map, I can reproduce the issue using that map in Field Maps for both iOS and Android. However when I saved a new copy of map using the Map Viewer Beta, I could no longer reproduce the issue, as you've stated as well.

When comparing the JSON of the Web Maps, in your copy I noticed it shows:

authoringApp"ArcGIS API for JavaScript"

authoringAppVersion"4.18"

In the new copy of the map I saved, it shows:

authoringApp"ArcGISMapViewerBeta"

authoringAppVersion"8.3"

I am not sure this is the cause of the issue or not, but I am curious how your original map was created? Which application generated that original Web Map?

For the second issue with the clearing of the formInfo in the Web Map JSON, I am trying to reproduce this behavior but haven't so far. I have a few more things to try, so I will keep you posted on this one. However in general the form information shouldn't be cleared when saving the map through the Map Viewer Beta. It will, however, if saved through the Classic Map Viewer. 

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
MikeSlattery
Occasional Contributor

Hi @KevinBurke,

I did briefly use the map in a Web AppBuilder app to try the edit widget on it, before I started on the Beta Viewer/Field Maps process.    Maybe the Javascript API value came from that exercise?

And I have had problems with Chrome cache on Macs before on various apps - not just arcgis - all over the place including local dev.   I should I have isolated that sooner.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I just wanted to add that I am also experiencing forms consistently disappearing after I have configured/saved within the Field Maps web app. I've looked at the map viewer beta and have made changes, but then when I go back to the forms they don't exist and back to square one. I have repeated this process already way too many times this morning. Why are the forms being dropped over and over? I know this isn't quite the same issue as the post, but it partially matches. Thanks

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @kmsmikrud 

Thank you for the additional information. I am investigating which workflows in the Map Viewer Beta (MVB for short) cause the form to get removed from the web map. 

Can you please provide me with your repro case(s) for where you've experienced the form being removed?

Thank you

-Kevin