What causes a Form and the '+" button to disappear?

Jump to solution
01-25-2021 07:41 PM
MikeSlattery
Occasional Contributor

I am not sure exactly why, but the Form I built is gone in the Field Maps configure pane for the layer, and so is the "plus" button in the Field Maps app.   This has happened before, but I am at a loss to pinpoint the before/after scenario.

I did update the popup in the beta map viewer, and I did add a field to the layer - but there is no indication of why the whole Form is gone as if I hadn't built one.

Once I added the new field to the feature item definitions for the layer, I could add/edit features in the web beta, but there is stlll no Plus button on the app.

To my knowledge no one used the layer in the non-beta map viewer.

31 Replies
Peters_Amy
Occasional Contributor

Kevin,

This is extremely helpful, thanks for taking the time to explain.  I will try that Save As using the MVB.  

0 Kudos
MikeSlattery
Occasional Contributor

Hi @KevinBurke and fellow mappers:   close or reload the tab on a new beta web map after naming and saving!

Here is something reproducible for me in FF and Chrome.   Start a new beta web map, name and save it.   As long as you keep that same tab open without reloading, you will clobber the form in a new Field Maps instance for that map with every change to the beta map in that tab!    

Make a manual form, or convert, save and it will behave in iOS.   But make any change to that beta map in that open tab, including renderers, etc. and the FM form will get clobbered.   Close that tab and re-open the beta map in a new tab, or even reload that tab, and you can make changes to your FM form, and your beta web popup and the FM form will not get clobbered.

This works even if you create and keep open the beta web map in Firefox, and edit and save the new Field Maps instance in Chrome!   

That first open tab, as long as it is open and not reloaded, has different side effects for a map save than a new tab or the same tab if reloaded.

0 Kudos
fklotz
by
Occasional Contributor

In case others encounter the missing "Add Features" or "+" button button after saving their ArcGIS Field Maps map, we've found that opening the map in Map Viewer BETA and saving as a new map has resolved this issue for us and the button shows in the new map.

It would be nice to figure this out without creating a new map with a new item ID and having to delete the old map and then rename the new map.

Farley
EmmaSchultz1
New Contributor III

Hello @fklotz 

Thank you for this suggestion. I am experiencing the same issue today. A little background on my web map/ field app map: 

- Map was originally created in the Current Web Map. I configured the forms in Field Apps by converting my pop ups from this original map. I then wanted to try the Map Viewer Beta, which worked great but I noticed my "Search Features by Layer" options disappeared when I used the Map Viewer Beta. I reopened the map in the Current Map Viewer, saved it, and I was able to Search by Feature Layer again. 

- Because of this, I was going to keep using the Current Map Viewer instead of Map Viewer Beta. However, I try to open the Field Maps app today, and the "+" "Collect" button has disappeared. I tried to open and save the map in Map Viewer Beta again, checked everything in the web Field Apps, opened the mobile App, and it is still not there. 

Emma 

0 Kudos
fklotz
by
Occasional Contributor

Further research has shown that our issue seems to be related to the following:  Our maps were to be used in ArcGIS Field Maps only, we did not want the users to open them in Collector.  So we unchecked the 'Use in Collector' at the bottom of the settings section of the map details page.  When we do that, the "+" button disappears in ArcGIS Field Maps.  Re-checking the 'Use in Collector' causes the "+" button to reappear. 

I have a bug report in to ESRI with respect to this.

Current solution to get the "+" button to show:  Enable "Use in Collector" for your map.

Farley
EmmaSchultz1
New Contributor III

Thank you for this solution. I definitely unchecked the collector option while configuring Field Maps. I will be sure to re-check this option. 

0 Kudos
fklotz
by
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I also wanted to share that in the recent release of ArcGIS Online, if an existing map that includes a configured smart form is opened in the Classic Map Viewer, if that map were saved through that version of the map viewer, the form information should no longer be removed. Prior to this release, this was not the case and you would lose the form if the map were saved using the Classic MV. 

Thanks

-Kevin

fklotz
by
Occasional Contributor

@KevinBurke  Would you be able to point to us to an online resource explaining this?  Currently, there is still a warning when you open a Map Viewer map in Map Viewer Classic: "This web map includes configurations that are only supported in the new Map Viewer. To ensure the best experience, open the web map in the new Map Viewer."  And on the compatibility matrix page it recommends you to "save as" if editing your map in a different map viewer.  I'm concerned about losing map settings/functionality if I have to take my map back to Classic Map Viewer to edit something that is not available in Map Viewer.

Farley
martinserych
New Contributor

I have also problem with "+" for collecting data in my Field maps app. I do not understand how to fix it. Please help me.

link to the map: https://mendelu.maps.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=86c000b3b79d45dfbfa56bd0d6756092