Using Arcade in a Pop-up Title breaks Field Maps if there are > 2 related records

08-24-2021 10:09 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I hope I can explain this correctly as its a hard one to track down.  I can repeat it at will now though.

I have an existing map working for months then a quirk.  I am using a simple Arcade expression in the Pop-up Title field (expression/expr0 with a calc of 

Concatenate($feature.PlotID, "_", text($feature.FieldEvalDate, "Y-MM-DD")) so nothing fancy.

This Pop-up Title is on a related FC.  When I go to the parent and list the children it works fine with 1 record.

Just one works.PNG

But if I have 3 children the list will not show the Pop-up Title.  (note sometimes it displays online but when I go offline it stops working)

Arcade offline not calcing.PNG

And then the entire popup also breaks.  Just spins.

Arcade offline not calcing popup.PNG

Once this happens Field Maps starts going down in flames.

The map just spins

Map just spins.PNG

Then basemap goes away.

Basemap goes away.PNG

It says it has offline areas but none found.

Says Offline areas.PNG

No Offline areas.PNG

And even the log files breaks.  Just blank screen.

Logs are blank.PNG

Only way to come back from this is the close the app completely.

It seems to me to be some type of memory issue.

If I change Pop-up title to just be a field everything starts working again just fine.

So it only happens if the Pop-up Title is Arcade and there are 3 or more children.  The pop up has other Arcade it but does not seem to matter.  Just the title.

I have this in a test set so I can share to the team if you want.  Again I can break in a repeatable fashion.

Thanks

10 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @DougBrowning 

Thank you for sharing that information. Would you be able to share the map with me to test on my end?

If so, can you please share with the ArcGISFieldMaps user.

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ok added.  Please use the map  Lentic 2021 Test Popup.  There is some production stuff in that group so please be careful.  You will see a point called NOC-Test-001 in the Denver area use that.  Let me know if you need more info.  thanks!

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Thank you @DougBrowning

KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hey @DougBrowning 

Some testing feedback so far:
- Using the Lentic 2021 Test Popup map as-is I can reproduce the issue when viewing the child records for the Field Visits table from the parent NOC-Test-001 feature.

- I cannot reproduce the same behavior in my own map that includes a hosted FS I published that supports Feature-to-Feature relationships. In my map I created a parent feature related to 3 child features. I then added the same concatenation arcade expression for the popup title. This was a very simple map, but the issue was not reproducible.

- If I save a new copy of the Lentic 2021 Test Popup map and remove all the layers and tables except the Plots and Field Visits layer, I cannot reproduce the issue. However if you then attempt to open the popup for one of the child records, you see `Errors` listed. My assumption as this point is there is some other dependencies these child records have, perhaps from the other arcade expressions in the map, as I noticed there were several others. Then since I removed those other layers, those dependencies cannot be fulfilled and instead produce the error. I don't know for sure yet, but just an assumption at this point. 

I am still testing, but that's what I noticed so far.

Thanks

-Kevin

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes some of the other Arcade expr do lookups to the layers using FeatureSet.   

But the Pop-Up title is just a simple concat of two strings as you see.  When it is listing the children is should only be calling the title expression at that point right?  Other expressions should not matter.  Since this all works fine if there are less than 3 children does seem like a memory issue but not idea why.  It is just simple concat.

Thanks so much for looking!  It is a production map so I had to just change to a simple field title for now and it all is working fine.

KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi @DougBrowning 

Thank you for that information. I went ahead and created a copy of your map that has the original expressions in place so that we can continue to troubleshoot this behavior on our end. 

I will keep you posted when more information is available from our investigation.

Thank you

-Kevin

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ok cool thanks.  I also confirmed another project that uses the same expression in the Pop-up title is also having the same issue.  It is a totally diff service, forms and all - they just happen to use the same id style.  No one had noticed before since we normally have just 2 visits which works fine.  But on testing adding a 3rd breaks on this other map also.

thanks

KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

@DougBrowning  Just a follow-up to this issue.

We've addressed this issue and the fix should be available in the next release of ArcGIS Field Maps.

In addition to this issue being reproducible on iOS, it was also reproducible on Android as well. If you have the ability to test against Android, you can install a current beta version from the Google Play Store. The app is ArcGIS Field Maps Beta v21.4. We don't have a beta version out against iOS, but at least you can verify the fix works on your end if possible. 

Thank you

-Kevin

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thank you!  @KevinBurke