Tracklog in Field Maps (not as clunky as Collector Classic not as OP or expensive as Location Tracking)

Jump to solution
10-14-2021 09:28 AM
ColinMurray1
New Contributor II

Hello

I would like field workers to have a tracklog displayed and recorded in Field Maps similar to a generic GPS but perhaps not as clunky to implement as Collector Classic. And not as OP, expensive, nor dealing with approval  for another license/expense or working with my IT department as Location Tracking currently offered. Is there a Location Tracking "Lite" or a modification/work-around to display a simple track in field maps?

Like I don't need to know everywhere my field staff travel during the day nor perform any deep analysis of their movements. Just a displayed track and recorded somewhere.

Colin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Okay, there was a change several months ago which added the location tracking capability (ArcGIS Tracker License) to the Field Worker User Type. So there is no additional cost if you're already using Field Worker User Types.

The only thing you have to do is enable location tracking for your organization on the Organization Settings page - there's no cost for storage of the tracks though it's limited to 30 days in ArcGIS Online. The users just need to enable tracking when they open the app. There's also a new map setting that requires tracking so that tracks are recorded when the user opens the map, similar to Collector Classic.

I'm not saying your idea doesn't have value - we've heard it before but I believe all of your concerns are already addressed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ColinMurray1 I have a couple of questions:

1. What User Types and Licenses do your Field Maps users have today?
  2. Are you using ArcGIS Online or Enterprise?
  3. How long do you need the tracks stored?
0 Kudos
ColinMurray1
New Contributor II

I believe most have "Field Worker" level. Not sure about licenses. I don't think they would have licenses. Using Enterprise AGOL. Not sure what you mean by length of track storage. Tracks need to be stored and viewed in the map similar to a GPS. Stored in cloud when map is synced.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Okay, there was a change several months ago which added the location tracking capability (ArcGIS Tracker License) to the Field Worker User Type. So there is no additional cost if you're already using Field Worker User Types.

The only thing you have to do is enable location tracking for your organization on the Organization Settings page - there's no cost for storage of the tracks though it's limited to 30 days in ArcGIS Online. The users just need to enable tracking when they open the app. There's also a new map setting that requires tracking so that tracks are recorded when the user opens the map, similar to Collector Classic.

I'm not saying your idea doesn't have value - we've heard it before but I believe all of your concerns are already addressed.

ColinMurray1
New Contributor II

Thanks Aaron. This capability for Field Workers is good. I would be nice to see this capability extended to other user types.

0 Kudos