Creating a stand alone phone app

02-25-2022 07:48 AM
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

I am wondering if it is possible to create a stand alone application that can be loaded on to a phone for field use.

Example. I created a Web App that uses Field Maps and Survey123.  The user opens Field Maps > Navigates to the group the Web App is located in > Starts the app

What I would like to be able to do is create and set up the Web App.  And then have the users add it to the list of a phone applications.  Essentially it would start Field Maps but be in the Web App directly. 

Just like having a bookmark on your desktop to open a specific Dashboard

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TravisSizemore
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert, 

I'm curious to see if anyone has an elegant solution because this would be fantastic. As far as I know you have to build a custom app in SDK, which is somewhat involved and may require additional licensing. I'm sure they'll dive into SDK a lot during the virtual Developer Summit in a couple weeks if you're able to attend.

Travis

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Agreed.  As my companies use of GIS increases more and more in the field people are asking to be removed from this or that General Group so they don't see this or that app in the field.  We were able to minimize this just recently when Field Maps finally came to Portal and worked. We can now say this or that web app is not usable in Collector or Field Map. Then then someone else wants to be able to use it.

I am going to give this a week or so and then post it as an idea. 

Our company started an ESRI authorized conference for Electric and Gas in our Region.  Our local rep is always there and asks people for suggestions as he feels direct input is good. Sometimes he brings a programmer from Redlands and that is excellent.  

We can already create custom tools and widgets that can be deployed to Pro and ArcMap. 

We had a meeting yesterday where we are talking about combining 4 different field apps into a single app.

They are all surveys with one permanent application as the base.  That's when I thought of this.  One of people in the meeting said he sometimes get confused when trying to find our Field Markups App. 

0 Kudos