Select to view content in your preferred language

Increase frequency of location tracks in Field Maps

Jump to solution
06-03-2024 02:36 PM
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to increase the frequency/interval of location tracks while using location sharing in Field Maps? We are just starting to use Field Maps and are finding that the default settings for the tracks are too widely spaced for our needs. We are using Android Samsung Galaxy S9 Tablets, Field Maps 24.1.3 build 1493, and ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1. We're not sure what settings to adjust and would love some advice!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeBrownMaps
Esri Contributor

Hello @IngridHogle,

Field Maps does not have a configurable setting for frequency location points are collected.  As @GlenShepherd mentions we have some logic that factors the "activity" into account, that comes from the Android OS.  You can try turning off battery optimization within Field Maps, this is however at the cost of battery life, and depending on your needs may not be an option.  If you want to give it a shot - you can find that setting first by tapping the upper right "person" icon, then tap Location sharing & alerts, then toggling off Battery optimization.  This will make your location history breadcrumb more frequent and regular.  

We do also have some configurable options available for MDM settings and app links that will help you configure location sharing.  https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/latest/prepare-maps/deploy-your-map.htm

You might also find this resource helpful for getting started. https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/android/use-maps/track.htm

Hope that helps-

-Jake Brown

Product Engineer Field Maps team

View solution in original post

7 Replies
GlenShepherd
Esri Contributor

Hi @IngridHogle ,

What is the required interval you're after?

From what I can tell in the doco:

• Last known location (LKL) is updated every 60 seconds by default
  • Distance intervals look to be fixed depending on speed of travel: "A minimum of 5 meters between points is required when walking, 30 meters when driving, and 10 meters for other activity types"

There is some mention that upload interval can be changed by editing the JSON of the web map using AGO Assistant: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/smallest-feasible-location-tracking-interval/t...

However this would be an unspported workflow - I'm not sure on the parameter that needs to be changed

0 Kudos
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

Good find, thank you! I'll take a peek in the map JSON. But I doubt any edits made here will help, since the interval we want to edit is within the tracks layer, which I believe is independent of the map JSON. We will try turning off battery optimization, as suggested in the documentation you found, and see if we get 1 meter intervals that way, as advertised is possible in the documentation. Thank you for all the suggestions and links!

0 Kudos
JakeBrownMaps
Esri Contributor

Hello @IngridHogle,

Field Maps does not have a configurable setting for frequency location points are collected.  As @GlenShepherd mentions we have some logic that factors the "activity" into account, that comes from the Android OS.  You can try turning off battery optimization within Field Maps, this is however at the cost of battery life, and depending on your needs may not be an option.  If you want to give it a shot - you can find that setting first by tapping the upper right "person" icon, then tap Location sharing & alerts, then toggling off Battery optimization.  This will make your location history breadcrumb more frequent and regular.  

We do also have some configurable options available for MDM settings and app links that will help you configure location sharing.  https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/latest/prepare-maps/deploy-your-map.htm

You might also find this resource helpful for getting started. https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/android/use-maps/track.htm

Hope that helps-

-Jake Brown

IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

Hi @JakeBrownMaps 

We followed all of these instructions and it helped for some users. But one user just returned from the field and showed me his My Tracks, which jumped him a little more than a tennis court away from his actual position multiple times. Tapping on some of his tracks, I see that Horizontal accuracy (RMS) is up to 51m for some of these stray Track Points. Can you help troubleshoot this?

The map he was using had the following App Settings preset in Field Maps Designer:

Collection

Accuracy: Distance 10m, 95% Confidence toggled off (can you explain the implications of this setting?)

GPS averaging: 5 points to average

Streaming: Distance 1 meter

His Field Maps Profile settings on his Samsung Galaxy tablet were as follows:

Collection settings

Accuracy 1m, 95% confidence toggled off (Note: I had requested staff to set this to 10m. The 1m setting was a mistake. I wonder if Field Maps just ignored this b/c it was unrealistic??)

GPS averaging toggled on

Streaming Distance 1 m

Location Provider

SX Blue II GPS [external GPS which gives up to submeter accuracy, connected via Bluetooth], Antenna height (m) 2.0

Location sharing & alerts

Battery optimization toggled off

0 Kudos
JakeBrownMaps
Esri Contributor

Hello @IngridHogle - a couple things to clear up. With the current version of Field Maps, location sharing makes use of the integrated device location (not external GPS location provider)  and location sharing is also not bound to the collection settings accuracy requirements.  Perhaps capturing a line using streaming is a better fit for this use case?  

In the future version of Field Maps - location sharing will use the active location provider whatever that may be, but again accuracy will not be bound to collection settings. 

-Jake Brown

0 Kudos
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

Do you have a time estimate for release of the future version of Field Maps that will use the active location provider for location sharing tracks? That would be very helpful as we decide how to proceed.

0 Kudos
JakeBrownMaps
Esri Contributor

@IngridHogle - time estimate is early 2025 for that version to be publicly available - subject to change. 

We do currently have an invite only preview program we can include you in if you're interested.  Support for Android bluetooth location providers should be included in the "tech preview 3" slated to be available in the first week of July.   Please  email arcgisfieldmaps@esri.com if you want to get the ball rolling on that.  

-Jake

0 Kudos