How to Display Historical Records in ArcGIS Field Maps

06-22-2021 03:33 PM
AdamBakiera
Occasional Contributor

Hello. I am attempting to set up historical record tracking in Field Maps. I followed these articles

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000015422

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/android/help/configure-the-form.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_99C1FBCDE8884...

Where I'm at now is that I can see the related table but I'm not sure how to get the records to move into it. Basically, we will have our field crews inspect an area every 6 months or so and we want them to be able to see when exactly they were last in an area. Ideally, when a new inspection is performed, the previous inspection will move to the related historical layer and the newest inspection will be what shows on the map. Is there a way to accomplish this? I'm almost certain I saw it during a webinar demo in April but I haven't been able to find any documentation.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @AdamBakiera , 

have you had a look at Branch versioning, this will allow the users to create a version and complete edits, white tracing information such as username, and time the edits were made.  When you add in the feature service, this should have the fields that include the fieldworker and the time the feature was made or edit was completed. 

- An Introduction to Branch Versioning (esri.com) 

this is the widget that can be added to your app

Manage Your Branch Versions with ArcGIS Experience Builder (esri.com)

You would need a user to push the version to default- so there may be an impact on your business process. 

Editing and Administration with Branch Versioning – It’s Showtime! (esri.com)

You can also create an archive layer based on your historical data, and push that to the portal as a service, 

Hope this helps

Keiren 

0 Kudos
AdamBakiera
Occasional Contributor

Hi Keiren,

Thank you for the quick response! I think of these options, I am most interested in the archived layer. Would you happen to have documentation on how to set up and/or how to use it?

Thank you!

Adam

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @AdamBakiera ,

Here is some documentation to look at regarding Archive layers, You and have a look at either tabs to get more information about it, but this is a good start in how to create a feature class with  archive information 

Work with the archive class—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

0 Kudos
AdamBakiera
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User ,

Thanks again for providing that. I was able to circle back to this project in the past few days. I set up the archiving class in Field Maps and I see it in there now when I click on a record. I'm still wondering if there is a way for the records to automatically move into the archived layer or if this is not possible. I'm thinking if it isn't, I'll have to publish the archived class like you suggested but then it will be in a separate layer. I noticed in day 1 of the Plenary at the UC this year, there was a demo that showed historic records in the same layer so I'm wondering how you can set that up rather than having two separate layers. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Adam, 

I have not watched the Demo you have mentioned, but the team may have created a Project package with the select layers and tools needed. The project package can be created for your own task, but if others need to access the archive layer, you can share the project package in ArcGIS Portal or ArcGIS Online.

If it needs to be in a Field App you could join a table, but that may make management a bit difficult.  These two pages might be a good starting point in automating the updates to the archive layers How To: Update a table with the changes made to a related table (esri.com)

Automate Updates to Web Feature Layers Without Scripting | Esri Training Tutorial

0 Kudos