Select to view content in your preferred language

Default values do not display in Field Maps Mobile or Web Map

Jump to solution
05-16-2022 03:21 PM
JanetSilb_Spike
New Contributor III

Hi, I have set a default value for a Switch field in both the Field Maps form builder, and in AGOL. It looks good in the Field Maps web app, shown in the screen shot below, but in the mobile app or using the edit tool in the web map it looks like there is no default value set.   I read a similar thread to this that was resolved, but in that case the feature layer was published from Pro. In my case, I created the hosted feature layer in AGOL from a zipped shapefile.  The layer does have existing records if that makes a difference.  

JanetSilb_Spike_0-1652739538627.png

0 Kudos
22 Replies
JanetSilb_Spike
New Contributor III

@CraigGillgrass I have reloaded the web map in mobile several times and still it doesn't default to the default value. My group is a shared update, partnered group and the setting to invite members outside of the partnered org is greyed out.  Would you be available for a video call to screen share this morning?  I also posted about a calculated expression failing to calculate, even though the test works.  thanks!

0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JanetSilb_Spike let's take this to DM or email, contact me at cgillgrass@esri.com and we can find a date/time that will work to take a look at this.

Craig

0 Kudos
JustinReynolds
Regular Contributor

@CraigGillgrass 
For me at least, if my template doesn't already have a default assigned to a field then I can't assign it in the templates tab of field maps. So I must manage the template in map viewer classic first... then I have access to that default for that particular field in the templates tab of Field Maps.

- Justin Reynolds, PE
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@JustinReynolds that sounds like a bug.  Are you using Online or Enterprise?  Can you DM me so we can discuss how best to trouble shot this?

thanks, Craig

0 Kudos
JustinReynolds
Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Online.  Yea, I suspected as much.  I'll write this up in the morning and send it to you.  It isn't that I can't assign it, its that the field I want to assign isn't displayed whether is in my form or not.   I'll provide more details in the DM.

- Justin Reynolds, PE
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

Sounds good, thanks @JustinReynolds 

JanetSilb_Spike
New Contributor III

After some trouble-shooting we have determined that the default value & switch will display when creating new features, or for existing features ONLY after that attribute has been edited and submitted. Then you can re-open that feature to see the default value and 'switch' it to the other value.  This limitation was not ideal for my client in the field who wanted existing features to default to "yes" for completed, once they entered a tree condition value, or at least to be able to switch the value to yes rather than having to select it from a drop-down. 

0 Kudos
JustinReynolds
Regular Contributor

@JanetSilb_Spike 
I think what your client wants is actually doable with the current state of Field Maps.  If you want to DM me, I might be able to help you with this, but I think I'll need to a bit more info.

- Justin Reynolds, PE
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor

@JanetSilb_Spike agree with @JustinReynolds that what your client wants to do should be possible.  From you explanation above, I think the issue is that the field you want to be displayed as a Switch is missing default values for all of its feature templates.  do you see this warning when you select the Form Element in the web app?

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 9.55.55 AM.png

Setting the default value for the field on the Templates tab should correct this.

Craig

JanetSilb_Spike
New Contributor III

Thanks Craig, I don't see that warning but am talking with @JustinReynolds later today.

0 Kudos