Can field Maps capture z values from elevation data?

12-19-2021 07:06 AM
AbidHiraSaath
New Contributor III

I am having issues capturing z values using field maps? Our field workers are collecting data on their cell phones. The geodatabase is z enabled and was uploaded as a zipped file geodatabase. The z values of a few points added on arcgis pro are visible, however, the field maps is unable to pick the z values of any new points that we are adding. Is there something in the settings that I am missing here?

Any help regarding this would be great.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Capture—ArcGIS Field Maps | Documentation

way at the bottom of that page is a caveat 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Kanin
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hello,

ArcGIS Field Maps do support collecting GPS metadata values from the current location in a point feature class' attributes by adding specific fields. In this case, the field name for altitude should be:

Field NameField Type
ESRIGNSS_ALTITUDEDouble

Full list of GPS metadata fields here: Add GPS Metadata Fields (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

(These fields can be added manually or added using the Add GPS Metadata Fields geoprocessing tool in ArcGIS Pro, or from a hosted feature layer template in ArcGIS Online/ArcGIS Enterprise)

This field (with the name "ESRIGNSS_ALTITUDE") will be automatically populated with the altitude of your GPS device when collecting point data from your current location.

Please see if this works for your workflow.

Best regards,
Kanin 

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution" to help others who have the same question.

AbidHiraSaath
New Contributor III

Hi @Kanin , Thank you for replying. I will definitely try this solution out.

However, the thing, is... we are not capturing elevation values from GPS, but rather our field workers are marking the points manually on field maps. How would we enable field maps to capture elevation in such a case? On ArcGIS pro we can do it using elevation data and using the z value by surface option, how do we get such an option to work in field maps?

Kanin
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi @AbidHiraSaath,

The pleasure is all mine.

I understand that you are looking for a way to extract Z-values from an elevation surface in Field Maps. I believe that this could be a potential ArcGIS Idea. I do recommend you to post this functionality in ArcGIS Field Maps Ideas. In the meantime, let's see if others from the Field Maps product team might be able to provide more insights to this.

Best regards,
Kanin 

If this answer solved your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution" to help others who have the same question.

0 Kudos