Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculated Value Override / Overwrite?

Jump to solution
04-30-2023 09:28 PM
HenryKo2
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I'm using Field Maps in ArcGIS Online. I have some fields that are calculated dynamically with arcade expressions. This is all working fine.

However, is there a way to allow users to override/overwrite the calculated values?

It appears once the calculations are done, the fields are no longer editable. I'd like to allow users to override/overwrite/make corrections to the calculated fields.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In 123 we do the 3 field trick.  Have one field for the user input, one field that is the calculation and a 3rd field that picks which one.   If user field has a value use it, if not use the calculated.  In 123 you can have the two temp fields not stored but I do not think you can in Field Maps.  You could hide the temp fields in your map though.

View solution in original post

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor
4 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

This is not directly possible and appears to be a limitation. Fields with calculations can't be edited by fieldworkers.

Some users have discussed having an additional field that users could update to re-calculate the field but this is a bit redundant, so not a great workaround:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-field-maps-questions/new-field-maps-calculated-expressions-and/...

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In 123 we do the 3 field trick.  Have one field for the user input, one field that is the calculation and a 3rd field that picks which one.   If user field has a value use it, if not use the calculated.  In 123 you can have the two temp fields not stored but I do not think you can in Field Maps.  You could hide the temp fields in your map though.

HenryKo2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. Good trick, I got it working, although the UI/UX on the Field Maps app is not that nice, but that would do for now.

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Please also see this post for proposed workaround: How to override values for fields with calculated expressions (esri.com)