Select to view content in your preferred language

New Field Maps Calculated Expressions and Conditional Visibility

03-28-2022 02:53 PM
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

It appears as if the new Calculated Expressions still only work on non-editable fields..

Is there a setting for this so we can toggle this behavior on/off.  Seems that a feature to "help" populate the data and reduce required form input on certain features is nice, but if you can't edit the data for other features that don't fit the query it is very limiting.

Also, it appears as if a field is 'hidden' with a conditional visibility query, any data in the field is still being deleted.  Was there an option added to control this behavior as well?

Seems like the only way to hide a field without the data being deleted is to use Calculated Expressions.

So, if Calculated expressions can populate (and not delete hidden field values), seems we should be able to toggle that restriction off for any field.

R_

14 Replies
Brady
by
New Contributor III

Yes, this functionality is needed. I can't implement it to save time if it stops people from editing the field after the fact.

in my example for Field A and Field B

if Field A = option 1 then Field B will always be option a

if Field A = option 2,3, or 4, then field B will have either option b,c,d, or e.

Field B options can vary in combination with A and are not a given formula, only option 1 equals option A all the time.

Please make this happen! 🙂

ILoveMap
New Contributor III

Has anyone figure out a way to do this? I've been tinkering to no avail 

0 Kudos
DamonBreen
New Contributor III

I haven't played with it yet, but the new field maps designer has a toggle for "Required" and it also allows for expressions to determine whether "Required" is enabled. Seems to me that you may be able to do a calculated expression, and then remove the required if those conditions are not met. 

0 Kudos
EdwardMcFarlin
New Contributor II

Not being able to edit a field with a calculated expression is a huge limitation and significantly limits where I can implement this.

DamonBreen
New Contributor III

Go into the field maps designer, and enter your calculated expression. Just above that, you have 3 toggle switches for edit, visibility and required. It will default edit to "off", but you can toggle it to on. I have one field that is capable of scanning a barcode, and if that field is left blank, the user can manually enter all of the fields, if they scan the barcode, and the barcode field is holding a value, it calculates the rest of the fields and they are not editable. You may be able to do a master switch in the form to enable editing, or enable calculations. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos