How many users can log in to a single ArcGIS Enterprise Field map Application for Survey?

03-20-2024 10:01 AM
VISHNUNV
New Contributor II

Hello fellow GIS enthusiasts!

I'm currently exploring the capabilities of ArcGIS Enterprise Field Applications for conducting surveys in my organization. As we scale up our operations, a pertinent question has arisen regarding user access.

Question: How many users can concurrently log in to a single ArcGIS Enterprise Field map Application for Survey?

Understanding this would greatly assist us in planning our deployment strategy and ensuring smooth user access without encountering any bottlenecks.

I'd appreciate any insights, experiences, or best practices that the community can share on this topic. Thank you in advance for your assistance! 🌍🗺

Warm regards,

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Esri operates on a named user licencing model. The expectation is each user would have their own account and sharing these between users would be circumventing the licencing model. It would be a very bad idea to actively base your deployment strategy on this basis.

So there will be very limited technical discussion on the maximum number of devices you can be signed into at once with a user account. Even more so on the official esri forum.

Some users may say it's fine but personally I have seen technical issues when three heavy-use devices shared one account on ArcGIS Collector. There were major issues with the sync.

The above aside, it's also a recipe for disaster in terms of sharing logins, resetting passwords and maintaining security best practices.

0 Kudos
KathleenCSki
New Contributor III

The users question is not using a single act to access a field map application, the question is how many users can user the same field map application? I have provisioned 6 named users with the same field map for collection. They are all able to download map areas, to go offline and collect and sync back up from the hotel nightly. The only issue we had was someone accidentally deleted some data, however it was recovered from a user who had not synced up and he was able to modify the data with a more recent edit and this returned the missing data upon his next sync. Data management can get a bit challenging keeping track of who is working on what data over a large site.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor
That makes more sense!

I'm not aware of a limitation on the number of users to a) login and b)
open the same map in ArcGIS Field Maps. I've seen usage in the 1000-2000
user range.

However, you would need to consider the servers capacity. That's harder to
put a number on. It's less the number of users on one map, but more the
data, workflows and total usage across your organisation. I'd consider it
to be ok with a large number of users but you'd want to optimise your maps
and reduce usage of server resources.
0 Kudos