field maps for windows

03-11-2021 10:45 AM
Labels (2)
StefanSchnitzhofer
New Contributor III

Our field worker crews are working with windows 10 tablets (MS Surface). Therefore we urgently need the new field maps running on windows (10) platform.

Update (August/03/2022) - As my post is nearly one year old: Is it in sight that there will be a fieldmaps solution for Windows OS? Any timetable?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
51 Comments
BrentPierce

Good news we are now in beta for a version on Field Maps which works on the Windows 11 platform. If you would like to participate please join our Early Adopter program here: https://earlyadopter.esri.com/key/ArcGISFieldMaps 

BrentPierce
Status changed to: In Product Plan

kmsmikrud

Hi @BrentPierce,

In one of your posts above you write "It's a little too early to speculate when this will be available, but recently versions of Windows11 which support the Windows Subsystem for Android, are generally available outside of the insider program, we are in a pretty good spot. " 

Am I understanding correctly that if a person had a tablet with Windows 11 and that supports the 'Windows Subsystem for Android' folks could install Field Maps for Android and be able to use outside of the Early Adopter Program?

Thanks for the clarification,

Kathy

HilgertN

Our field worker crews are working with the Android app But for management purposes we urgently need the new field maps running on windows (10) platform - is there any plans of creating this?
03/08/2023

AmyFerdinand1

With 'Windows Subsystem for Android‘ I was able to download and run Field Maps on a Surface Pro running Windows 11 - thank you.😍 Is there a way to connect (Bluetooth) to  a GPS/GNSS Receiver (Arrow 100) to improve accuracy? EOS Tool Pro is available for Windows 10 - but not yet available for Windows 11.

SarahSaint-Ruth

With the June 2023 release of Field Maps came support for Windows 11 via the Android Subsystem.

• How to deploy can be found here
  • Connecting to External GNSS devices here
  • FAQ

We do not have any plans to support Windows 10.

BrettLessner

There needs to be a native Windows installer, preferably for Windows 10 and 11 but just 11 seems reasonable. Windows Subsystem is prohibited at our company.

SarahSaint-Ruth

Hi @BrettLessner are you able to share why the Windows Subsystem is prohibited? Also what's the use case for Field Maps on Windows at your organization. Fee free to message me directly if you don't want to share on the post.

Jeremy_Z

The problem is much larger than the Windows Subsystem being prohibited, there are many large companies and federal organizations that will not be going to Windows 11 until Windows 10 hits it's EOL. Windows 10 is supposed to be supported until October 2025 right now, and that could be pushed out even further. It's the same we went through for Windows 7 to 10, and before that to Windows 7.

So that leaves us without a solution to even consider until late 2025. Beyond that, many of these same organizations will not allow the android emulation at all do to perceived security risks, much less access to the Amazon Appstore to install apps. Most of these won't be looking at this whatsoever until they have already moved to Windows 11, which easily pushes us into 2026 or further.

That's a long time to go without a solution for users at organizations that need to use Windows devices in the field.

MelanieWawryk

I can answer that. We have two issues related to the subsystem. The first is our server are not compatible with Windows 11 so it will be a while before we can upgrade from Windows 10. At the same time, I asked about the subsystem and they said it was a security risk so they would not approve it. Perhaps both opinions and restrictions have changed by now. It would be helpful if there was a white paper explaining how it all works and why it is not a risk that we could take to our network and security teams to try and convince them.

As far as why we need it. We have field staff that use Field maps in the field. When they come into the office or their supervisors are in the office, they use their computers to make updates. We also have support staff that are in the office that enter data as well. All three groups would like their app on the computer to look and feel like the one in the field. Instead, we need to try and replicate the app using web application builder or experience builder. It would be so much simpler to just have one field map that can be used in the field and in the office rather than having to create two apps to do the same thing.
Additionally, some of our field staff use tablets. This is both for the screen real estate and so they can keep utilities drawings that are pulled up through hyperlinks in a local viewer from their laptops. There are thousands of drawings and tablets do not have enough storage space. They use a local copy of data and the plans for emergency use when there is no power or internet so can not switch to using a tablet. They would also like to have field maps on the laptops.
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Thanks Melanie

Melanie Wawryk MSc. GISP