field maps for windows

03-11-2021 10:45 AM
Labels (2)
StefanSchnitzhofer
New Contributor III

Our field worker crews are working with windows 10 tablets (MS Surface). Therefore we urgently need the new field maps running on windows (10) platform.

Update (August/03/2022) - As my post is nearly one year old: Is it in sight that there will be a fieldmaps solution for Windows OS? Any timetable?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
51 Comments
AaronKoelker

They said again at the ESRI User Conference 2021 in July that they don't currently have any plans to bring Field Maps to Windows. I can't remember if they gave a reason or not, but I would guess it has to do with the size of the user base -- most people are not taking full-blown Windows 10 out into the field, or at least, a very tiny percentage relative to the number users with devices running Android/iOS.

They did mention though that with the recent announcement of Windows 11 being able able to run Android apps, it's possible that Field Maps will make its way to Windows that way. Windows 11 is coming October 5th, but I think the Android app functionality was delayed until 2022.

MichaelMorisette

We would also really like a Windows version of this, as we have users who would like to edit data in the office (on their PCs) as well as the field.  This would provide them with a consistent experience and not require learning/teaching two different things.

At the very least, maybe Esri could make some attempt to make the app work in Android emulators?  We've tried BlueStacks, LD Player, and NoxPlayer.  All three are unable to load the app from the .apk

AndyWells

Windows is the only platform that works with our very old survey-accurate GPS equipment. Going to Android is not an option for us at this time.

by Anonymous User

We're also looking for a Windows solution. @MichaelMorisette Any luck with other emulators?

KaraUtter

We also need field maps for windows, as some of our field crews are using windows operating systems on their field tablets for other software that require a windows OS. They need to be able to have all the options on one system and not multiple devices.

ToddHalvorson

A note on this topic regarding Windows Mobile Apps.  Microsoft is promoting Win 11 now and with the ability for it to run "select" Android Apps.   

The next question will be - Can or will any of the Esri mobile apps for Android be certified to function on Win 11 devices?   Of course the rest of the industry building Win 10 apps for SCADA and other utility systems will have to catch up as well!!

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/10/20/introducing-android-apps-on-windows-11-to-windo...

KaraUtter

@ToddHalvorson that's a great question! Thank you for posting.

by Anonymous User

Yesssssss! We need this. 

KaraUtter

@ToddHalvorson @AaronKoelker 

Have either of you tried out the insider program to be able to use android apps on windows 11 for field maps yet? If so, how is it going? Seems the requirements for install of Windows 11 is pretty hefty for a tablet.

AaronKoelker

@KaraUtterI have not, but would be very interested to know if anyone has as well