Select to view content in your preferred language

Allow the Customization of Geofence Notifications

2 weeks ago
StacyBerry
New Contributor II

My workplace has implemented Geofences within Field Maps to alert equipment operators as they approach hazards or important infrastructure along roadways.

We are happy overall with the functionality, however the application feels limited as to what notifications can occur as they are too quiet and easy to miss when the operator is in a noisy machine and needs to pay attention to their surroundings rather than their tablet.  The near universal feedback we have received from the operators is that the standard small vibration, ding, and text banner is very easy to miss even on max volume.

Currently geofence notifications are configured only through the operating system of the mobile device and, while I can't speak for Android, Apple IOS is extremely locked down where you can't even choose a custom sound for 3rd party applications.

My idea is to allow the customization of geofence alerts within Field Maps Designer or the App itself and to allow for different styles of notifications based on the trigger that occurred.

Example: A small chime as an operator enters a geofence 200 meters around a hazard and a louder horn and large customized text popup when they enter a 50 meter geofence around that same hazard.

If it is possible, implementing this idea would greatly enhance the utility of Field Maps and the use of geofences for my organization.

Thanks for reading!

Keegan

2 Comments
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Great suggestion. We are yet to implement Geofencing but this has been one of my concerns for similar reasons. We would be using it in tree harvesters and we want them to avoid cutting in areas such as national parks, conservation reserves or riparian zones. We would also need to ensure habitat trees are avoided. And as you can imagine, those machines are quite noisy with the operators focussing on the outside happenings, not always on the table. 

ECarson

I concur with Stacy regarding allowing customization of alerting functionality. The current standard notification from iOS is limited.

Additional functionality such as:

- constant colored banner & text when in geofenced area

- customized audio for alert.

- flashing screen

Regards,

Elliott