Select to view content in your preferred language

How to get ArcGIS Online Basemaps into MMPK?

Jump to solution
07-17-2017 12:44 AM
KarlW
by
New Contributor III

With the latest version of the Explorer for ArcGIS app, offline access is via an mobile map package (*.mmpk) which is great but I get an error (The layer type is not supported in runtime content) when I try to add an ArcGIS Online basemap to my MMPK.

How do I get ArcGIS Online basemaps into my MMPK much like the old offline cache method can with Collector for ArcGIS?

Thanks,

Karl

50 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Kurt,

Could you give the beta version a try?  Explorer for ArcGIS Beta - Apps on Google Play 

The new version of Explorer for Android is needed for Mobile Map Packages created with ArcGIS Pro 2.5, that contain VTPKs.   It's getting close to being out of beta.

Mark

0 Kudos
ECanGIS_Team
New Contributor III

Just updated to Pro 2.5 now EVERY explorer map in production has broken!  Yes, they all contain VTPKs but honestly, where was the communication about this Pro update affecting Explorer?  Why should I have to go looking through GeoNET to find out why something in production for months has now suddenly stopped working affecting dozens of field staff?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Mobile Map Packages created with  ArcGIS Pro 2.5 were not supposed to affect Explorer.   The Explorer for ArcGIS (Android) update was schedule to release well ahead of the ArcGIS Pro 2.5 release, but it didn't happen as planned. 

So, yes we are in this inconvenient state.  The options are to continue using ArcGIS Pro 2.4 to create Mobile Map Packages, or use  Explorer for Android beta, for Moibile Package created with ArcGIS Pro 2.5 that contain Vector Tile Packages.

0 Kudos
JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

Well now we're in version 2.4  and it is still not exporting basemaps to mmpks ? 

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
RickyKeller__-_FG
New Contributor

In 2020 are there any plans to make online base maps work inside of a MMPK?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, with ArcGIS Pro 2.6 will be be able to include services in an MMPK.  This will allow you to create mobile maps that have a mix of online and offline content.  Mobile map users will need an internet connection to view the online content, but it will allow you to create maps for the field with the information necessary for one to do what they need to without an internet connection, and a much more informative map when they do have an internet connection.

Mark

0 Kudos
RickyKeller__-_FG
New Contributor

That is going to be super useful! Thank you Mark!

0 Kudos
HarithaVendra
New Contributor II

Mark,

Is there a way to add an online feature layer to an ArcGIS Pro Project, share it as a mobile map package, and then when you open the MMPK file using Runtime api, the feature layer points to online.  Right now, it seems like if you create an MMPK from an ArcGIS Pro Project it takes the data in offline mode.  We want the layer to reference the online feature service.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes.  Using ArcGIS Pro 2.6 the ‘create mobile map package tool’ has an option to reference online content.  All “https:” datasources will be incuded in the mobile map package as is.   Users of your app will need an internet connection to view them. All ‘non-https:’ (file based data) will be included in the package.   This allows you to create mobile map package that has a mix of offline and online content.

0 Kudos