How to get ArcGIS Online Basemaps into MMPK?

Jump to solution
07-17-2017 12:44 AM
KarlW
by
New Contributor III

With the latest version of the Explorer for ArcGIS app, offline access is via an mobile map package (*.mmpk) which is great but I get an error (The layer type is not supported in runtime content) when I try to add an ArcGIS Online basemap to my MMPK.

How do I get ArcGIS Online basemaps into my MMPK much like the old offline cache method can with Collector for ArcGIS?

Thanks,

Karl

50 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm poking around 2.1, and I'm not seeing where ArcGIS Online Vector Tile basemaps.can be added to the offline map? 

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro 2.1 it is not possible to take ArcGIS Online Vector (basemaps) tiles offline..  however this functionality will be available in the ArcGIS Pro 2.2 release.  Work is in-progress on this now.

Mark

mohsenvakilpour1
New Contributor

Dear Mark,

We use Esri MapView component in Xamarin Forms. We load a mmpk file containing some vector layers. But we need add online imaginary basemap, for our background (like WMTS service).
But it seems that it is not supported by Esri MapView componnent. Is it right?

Can we have online base map embedded in mmpk?

Can we load a mmpk and an online tile service as basemap into an Esri MapViewat the same time?

Regards,
Mohsen

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Mohsen,

Currently, MMPKs do not suppport service layers.   This is something we have been asked to support, and we will be considering service layer support (MMPKs with mix of online and offline layers) for a future release.

Mark

deleted-user-fE4G739Gw5Pn
New Contributor

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.1.1 and I've tried with two different basemaps and in both instances, I can successfully get a MMPK to be produced.  But when I open the resulting MMPK in Explorer the basemap doesn't show up - just a blank canvass.

My first case: The basemap was a SID file, which I realize probably won't work.  Resulting MMPK was 50MB.

My second case: The basemap was a TPK file.  I was hopeful because the resulting MMPK was 6.3GB (the original TPK was 6.6GB).

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Robert,

The current release of Explorer does not support Raster layers.  For Pro 2.1 we started writing raster layers into the MMPK with the anticipation that a release of Explorer would be available with raster support.   The releases did not line up, so we are in this situation where rasters are written into the MMPK, but Explorer can not make use of them.  Internally we have builds of Explorer that do support and display raster layers.  The next Explorer release will have MMPK raster layer support.

If we had waited for Explorer to support raster layers before writing them into the MMPK, we would have had to wait until the Pro 2.2 release... so while it seems a bit confusing now, I think it is worth it.

Mark

JoshV
by
Occasional Contributor

I believe the TPK size is restricted to 2 gig's or 150k tiles but not a 100% certain

0 Kudos
PaulCone2
Occasional Contributor III

Not true.  We have a collection of .tpks that we use for the map for the CAD (computer aided dispatch) system in our 911 center.  Many of them are over 2 GB and the largest is the aerial imagery, which is about 11 GB.

Paul

0 Kudos
JoshV
by
Occasional Contributor

I was referring to TPK's for mobile.  But this is good to know for things non-mobile

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

I need to confirm, but I think 2GB limit may only apply to 32 bit devices.

0 Kudos