How to get ArcGIS Online Basemaps into MMPK?

Jump to solution
07-17-2017 12:44 AM
KarlW
by
New Contributor III

With the latest version of the Explorer for ArcGIS app, offline access is via an mobile map package (*.mmpk) which is great but I get an error (The layer type is not supported in runtime content) when I try to add an ArcGIS Online basemap to my MMPK.

How do I get ArcGIS Online basemaps into my MMPK much like the old offline cache method can with Collector for ArcGIS?

Thanks,

Karl

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Karl,

At this time it is not possible to put online content directly into a Mobile Map Package.  ArcGIS Pro 2.0 only supports writing file based vector data (File Geodatabase, Shapefile and Vector Tile Packages) into a Mobile Map Package.  For Pro 2.1 we are working on adding raster support (File and TPK) and leveraging ArcGIS Online Vector Tile basemaps.

Which ArcGIS Online basemap are you most interested in using in Explorer?

Mark

View solution in original post

50 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The list of files that is supported and the restrictions as to where those files need to reside in order to be included is listed here http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/create-mobile-map-package.htm

I suspect the restrictions are the reason

KarlW
by
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

I've read the numerous help pages but none make it clear that AGO base maps are not supported. Why boobytrap Explorer for ArcGIS like this? #ItShouldn'tBeThisHard

Cheers,

Karl

shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Karl,

Is your requirement specific for .mmpk, will a .tpk suffice?  

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Karl,

At this time it is not possible to put online content directly into a Mobile Map Package.  ArcGIS Pro 2.0 only supports writing file based vector data (File Geodatabase, Shapefile and Vector Tile Packages) into a Mobile Map Package.  For Pro 2.1 we are working on adding raster support (File and TPK) and leveraging ArcGIS Online Vector Tile basemaps.

Which ArcGIS Online basemap are you most interested in using in Explorer?

Mark

shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

I agree with Mark here, as we speak of the current version of ArcGIS Pro does not support a raster layer while creating an .mmpk file. This is the reason why I asked if a .tpk would suffice your need.

Refer https://community.esri.com/thread/127722 

I hope this helps!.

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
KarlW
by
New Contributor III

Hi Mark,

We need the imagery with labels base map to provide context for our vector layers.

So the Explorer for ArcGIS app can only go offline with file-based vector data. This is a serious limitation for us so will have to use Collector for ArcGIS and traditional offline workflow for the time being.

We look forward to ArcGIS Pro 2.1.

Thanks,

Karl

0 Kudos
mohsenvakilpour
New Contributor

Hi Mark,

I tried to create .mmpk using ArcGIS Pro 2.1 Beta2 also, but i get error this message again: "The layer type is not supported in runtime content:" when i add an imagery layer (It was WMS online tile service).

So please let me know How we can add an imagery basemap whenever we use .mmpk file in our app?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Mohsen,

Only file based rasters (Tile Packages .TPK and .JPG, .PNG etc..) are supported for inclusion in a Mobile Map package, WMS services are not supported.  

Keep in mind that the current release of Explorer does not support Mobile Map Packages that contain raster layers.  Explorer for ArcGIS with support for raster layers in a mobile map package, will be available when the ArcGIS Pro 2.1 final release is public.

Mark